Looking For Mailing List Program

Hello.

I am looking for a program to install on my website/server space for creating and sending out mailing lists. The goal is for people to be able to enter their e-mail address in a form box on my website so they can recieve newsletters. Any good suggestiongs? I would prefer being able to send html formatted newsletters

I am leery of using mailing list programs that are run by third party companies as it seems they always have strings attached. Thus my desire to install the program on my own web server space and have complete control. (No company selling my subscriber list or suddenly deciding to charge me because I went over some user limit). However, if someone knows a good company I might consider it. But I would much prefer if someone out their knew of a good program I could install on my own server space.

Thanks for any suggestions

Rundi

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Thanks especially to Thomas for that link! It looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Now I will have to try it out.

BTW I am very happy with TCH hosting. Good price for good service.

• 4 weeks later...

Rundi,

I use the Mailman program, included w/ my TCH hosting packages, to satisfy my mailing list needs. Easy to setup and manage. Allows you to give subscribers as much control as you need/want to and includes a handy archiving ability as well.

You should see it listed in your cpanel as "mailing lists" in the email section.

Good luck.

Bill

Hello.

I am looking for a program to install on my website/server space for creating and sending out mailing lists. The goal is for people to be able to enter their e-mail address in a form box on my website so they can recieve newsletters. Any good suggestiongs? I would prefer being able to send html formatted newsletters

I am leery of using mailing list programs that are run by third party companies as it seems they always have strings attached. Thus my desire to install the program on my own web server space and have complete control. (No company selling my subscriber list or suddenly deciding to charge me because I went over some user limit). However, if someone knows a good company I might consider it. But I would much prefer if someone out their knew of a good program I could install on my own server space.

Thanks for any suggestions

Rundi

I've used Mailman packaged with TCH hosting, and it was ok until the list got to big for the email limitations TCH has and then worked with DaDa Mail ... was not exactly what I needed, and is too difficult to configure and maintain so I finally ended up moving all five of my lists to www.smartgroups.com and have been very happy there. Really, really like their added features of being able to share files, and so forth.