Mysql 5

spadin

• 5 months later...

I certainly can appreciate your reluctance to upgrade to mysql 5 and php 5 since its opening a can of worms for those who have established sites up and running. Is it at all possible for one server to have the latest versions of each and give us, your customers, the option of residing on that server. I personally am developing new applications and have been frustrated because I find some of the commands don't work on the older versions. Thank you for your consideration.

Welcome to the forums lglick. :D

I believe that Rob's statement from October still hold true - the only way to get a custom setup is to get your own dedicated server.

On our shared servers we are currently up to PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 4.1.18.

• 1 month later...

In trying to learn if PHP5 will be supported on TCH, I found this post. What I did not find was a comprehensive list of what is and is not supported on TCH servers and the reasoning behind those choices. It seems to me that such a list would be really useful to both prospective and seasoned users. Am I missing something? Have I looked in the wrong place? Where can I find a complete list of all the software available on the standard TCH shared hosting plans along with the version number, the rationale for using that version (not upgrading to the latest version or not keeping an older version), and projections of when the version might be changed? It would also be nice to have a list of the more common products that are _not_ supported by TCH (Cold Fusion, PHP5, etc.) along with rationale and possible future plans.

Well the hosting plans page tells you what you are getting (PHP, Perl, etc versions) and the banned scripts will give you that informaiton.

Thanks for the links. I had not seen the banned scripts notice. Don't you think complete account suspension is a little harsh for the fist offense? It seems that you could disable the script the first time and give the user a warning. If I had not stumbled on this post, I don't think I could have guessed that CPanelMail or BlogSolution (whatever they are) were in any way dangerous. I might innocently install them just to see how they work.

I had found the hosting plans page, but it does not give me all the information I'm looking for. Specifically, it lists the current version of PHP, but it does not tell me why TCH refuses to upgrade to the current version. I had to search the forums for half an hour to find that information. Also, it says nothing about any plans to support PHP5 in the future. Is TCH morally opposed to PHP5 and will never upgrade? Is TCH thinking about perhaps upgrading some day with no plans for when? Is it already planned for a particular quarter? I'd like to have this information, for every application TCH supports and also for the common ones that TCH doesn't support, all collected together on one page or perhaps in a new forum with one thread for each application, ideally without any user comments or complaints.

In the middle of a CPU flood or Bandwidth flood, it makes more sense for TCH to disable the account and let the user handle the problem (and they almost always help) than to let the problem continue while they search our files for an offending script.

Personally, I'd rather them keep the servers running and explore the impact of upgrades than to spend time explaining every decision they make... but that's just me ;)

In the middle of a CPU flood or Bandwidth flood, it makes more sense for TCH to disable the account and let the user handle the problem (and they almost always help) than to let the problem continue while they search our files for an offending script.

Yes, of course, that makes sense. In a drastic situation, one takes drastic steps. However, if a banned script were found outside of an emergency, such as during a routine backup or while doing something else on the server or even during a routine scan for the banned scripts (that would make sense if they are so dangerous), the first offender could be alerted to the fact that the scripts have been disabled or removed.

Personally, I'd rather them keep the servers running and explore the impact of upgrades than to spend time explaining every decision they make... but that's just me ;)

I would rather see them work smarter rather than harder. By not posting this information, they leave the user to search through thousands of forum messages to find the information. They also spend time responding to the same questions over and over again because the information is not in the FAQ. That is the point of the FAQ, to provide a central repository of information that is commonly sought. From the hits on my search, there are many people asking if this that or the other application will be supported in the near future.

There are currently no plans to move to PHP5. We have too many customers running PHP programs that could be detrimentally effected if it were switched. When they are sure that nothing will break they will add it.

As for having specail servers with different configurations that's not going to happen. If you need or want a special configuration there is always the dedicated server option where you can put what ever you like on it.

I don't think I've ever seen a web hosting company that lists the packages it does not support. That seems like poor marketing, not to mention a big waste of time. The page Bruce sent you to tells you what you're getting. If it's not on the list, you can safely assume it's not offered. You are always welcome to ask though. It doesn't take very long to type "we do not currently support PHP5 and have no plans to do so," so don't worry about wasting our time asking the same question over and over because searching for "PHP5" didn't yield the results you wanted. (Third thread down, btw.)

I don't think I've ever seen a web hosting company that lists the packages it does not support. That seems like poor marketing, not to mention a big waste of time. The page Bruce sent you to tells you what you're getting. If it's not on the list, you can safely assume it's not offered. You are always welcome to ask though. It doesn't take very long to type "we do not currently support PHP5 and have no plans to do so," so don't worry about wasting our time asking the same question over and over because searching for "PHP5" didn't yield the results you wanted. (Third thread down, btw.)

I disagree about the marketing question, but that is neither here nor there. However, apparently, I can't depend on the hosting page because it does not list Ruby on Rails, or any other form of Ruby for that matter. According to the big announcement last month or the month before, that rollout should have already been completed. That is exactly my point. The main web page does not get updated often enough and it certainly is not going to list things that TCH is considering supporting.

As a new user, if I could find a list of _why_ a particular application is not supported, I might decide to change my requirements. In any case, a company that offers that level of transparency would certainly get big marks in my book.

Ruby on rails are not listed since it´s not on the servers yet.

The reason why it´s not on the servers yet, is because the techs got some problem with it, announced here.

Thanks Thomas. This is another example of why the collected information would be helpful to but the user and the staff. If it were all in one place, easy to find, and complete, I would not have to ask and the staff, both volunteer and paid, would not have to keep answering questions about it.

Hi John,

I'm not normally this blunt with our customers, but why are you hosted here. With every post you make it is apparent you are unhappy with our business model. You have hijacked this thread and my staff will no longer be responding to your "suggestions". Please use the forum search feature and learn a bit of forum etiquette. If you have any further question/suggestions please feel free to address them in the appropriate thread, open your own, or submit a ticket.

THREAD CLOSED DUE TO OFF TOPIC HIJACKING