Spam Box

bryangr

Can someone tell me if I am correct in assuming that if I have spam assassin enabled and spam box disabled, most spam mail will be deleted and not retrievable. But, the purpose of spam box is to put the suspected spam in a box that can be checked if necessary.

Am I right in my assumptions?

Welcome to the forums, bryangr! :thumbup1:

The way I understand it, SpamAssassin only marks mail as spam - it does not delete spam e-mails at all.

If your Spam Box is enabled, e-mails marked as spam by SpamAssassin will be delivered to a mailbox named 'spam'.

If your Spam Box is disabled, e-mails marked as spam by SpamAssassin will remain in the mailbox they were delivered to.

Hope this helps...

Welcome to the forum, bryangr :thumbup1:

As others have told you the email marked as spam would be collected in the spam box. However you will need to use a webmail client to view those.

What I have done is leave spam box turned off and created a spam account. I then added a filter to send the tagged email to that account. This way I can check the account with any pop email client.

After a while when I was satisfied the emails being tagged were truly spam (no good emails caught) I changed the filter to discard the emails marked as spam.

HTH

What I have done is leave spam box turned off and created a spam account. I then added a filter to send the tagged email to that account. This way I can check the account with any pop email client.

After a while when I was satisfied the emails being tagged were truly spam (no good emails caught) I changed the filter to discard the emails marked as spam.

Most of my mail that is in the SPAM mailbox may be deleted immediately but occasionally I need look at that mail. That mailbox, however, fills up fast. If I forgot to purge the mail, then I receive the full mailbox notices every few days.

Is there a simple technique or script that I can use to keep just the last 3 days of mail in the SPAM mailbox?

Thank you. -- Justin

I setup SPAM Assassin to label headers and Outlook to file those in a separate folder and monitor for a week or so to convince myself SA will not delete good emails. Adjust the # accordingly in SA - 5 always works for me. Then go back to cpanel and add a filter to delete the SPAM (just as outlined above)

Now SA is set to where I'm convinced I'm not losing anything so some SPAM still makes it to Outlook. Turn on the Junk mail filter in Outlook and update the filters. Outlook files SPAM in the junkmail box so you can review for potentially good mail.

In other words, SA is set to dump what is absolutely certain to be SPAM and Outlook is the second, more stringent filter that files emails for review.

BTW - Outlook can file all SPAM and be configured to delete the SPAM folder content at in a number of ways such as "everything older than 7 days."