Wp Sql Syntax Error -

black cat

Hello-

I've been receieving the following error message that relates to a post to my WordPress blog:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's = robots.txt file=20 which is placed at the root level:

INSERT INTO wp_posts (post_author, post_date, post_date_gmt, post_modified, post_modified_gmt, post_content, post_title, post_excerpt, post_category, post_status, post_name, comment_status, ping_status, post_parent) VALUES ('1', '2005-10-13 19:45:36', '2005-10-14 02:45:36', '2005-10-13 19:45:36', '2005-10-14 02:45:36', '

The line that reads "'s = robots.txt file=20 which is placed at the root level:" is part of the test in a post that was submitted a few days ago.

Support at WordPress suggests that one possible cause is if the PHP version on the host has been upgraded and the Zend Optimizer has not. I know not what this means but this is where I read it - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/18678

Can you folks tell me if this might be where my problem is?

Thanks so much for your time!-

Oh yeah, I'm on server 93

black cat

It looks to me like you have a problem with WordPress not escaping quotes (as \') before sending the data to the MySQL database, which may be related to your magic_quotes_gpc PHP setting. Normally, magic_quotes_gpc is set to 'on' on TCH servers, but it can be turned off in an .htaccess file. You might take a look at your .htaccess files and see if 'php_flag magic_quotes_gpc' is being set in any of them either way (on or off).

Thanks for the quick response guys, and for pointing me in the right direction!

I checked my htaccess file and don't see anything that looks like

magic_quotes_gpc PHP

However, the error is always triggered by the use of single quotes (or apostrophes) in posts submitted via e-mail. Other punctuation is not a problem. I found that some other folks were having the same problem in the WP Support Forum so I posted my ? there too.

Know of anywhere else I can check?

Thanks again!

However, the error is always triggered by the use of single quotes (or apostrophes) in posts submitted via e-mail.

Posts submitted by e-mail are significantly different than posts submitted through a web browser: the text in an e-mail post does not get stored in PHP's $_GET, $_POST, or $_SERVER variables. Because of this, the 'magic_quotes_gpc' PHP setting would have no effect on an e-mail post - even if it is set to 'on', PHP would not automatically escape quotes in a post submitted by e-mail.

From what I can tell, this may be a bug in the wp-mail.php script (WP support topic, WP bug report). If I'm reading the bug report correctly, it's supposed to be fixed in WP 1.6.