Physical Location Of Servers & Routing

Guest Spatula-City

Guest Spatula-City

Hello,

I am a prospective client wanting to find out some of the general area of the servers. The server Name/IP listings http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/help/servernames.htm list a mixture of networks that the servers are a part of. The routing is quite different between a few of the servers and I was wondering where some of these servers are. It looks like most of the servers are on the east coast. Can I choose what server my site will be hosted on? If there is a West Coast server and I serve mostly clients on the west coast can I be placed on the west coast server if I ask for it?

This company seems very unique that the staff is very upbeat , maybe a little goofy too :huh:, and extremely customer ervice oriented.

Also, How long has TCH been in the hosting business? And how large is your staff?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

Whose he calling goofy??? :huh:

Let's see:

Head Guru: have had his goofy moments.

Lianna: goofy (certified)

Rick: strait shooter, but I have seen him play basketball on a donkey... yea must be goofy.

Jim: strait shooter

cerealkiller: name says it all (eats nothing but fruitloops)

slyfox: no telling, too sly

sicilychick: [no comment, she has 'family']

leezard: to new to tell (but I think he has goofy potential)

kw: the most 'conservative' goofy we have.

It is late, who did I leave out?

An appropriate person will address your question (but the answer will be that you will not be able to select your server).

Hi,

1) You can not choose your server.

2) Location wise on the net, whether its east coast or west coast, Britain, Japan, Russia etc makes no difference. What does make the difference is the server its hosted on, but since TCH uses the best servers around (just got to love the new ones that Head Guru brought a few weeks back), it should not be a problem.

3) We all have our goofy moments!

Jim

Hello,

I am a prospective client wanting to find out some of the general area of the servers.  The server Name/IP listings http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/help/servernames.htm list a mixture of networks that the servers are a part of.  The routing is quite different between a few of the servers and I was wondering where some of these servers are.  It looks like most of the servers are on the east coast.  Can I choose what server my site will be hosted on?   If there is a West Coast server and I serve mostly clients on the west coast can I be placed on the west coast server if I ask for it?

This company seems very unique that the staff is very upbeat , maybe a little goofy too ;),  and extremely customer ervice oriented. 

Also, How long has TCH been in the hosting business?  And how large is your staff?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

On to your questons -

Servers -

We have servers in datacenters in Michigan, New Jersey, Canada, Ohio, Georgia and Texas. We colocate in multiple datacenters for a very simple reason. That reasons being - If we had all our servers in lets say nac.net and that data center caught on fire http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...=ST&f=46&t=2328

then we would have THOUSANDS of customers down. Makes no sense. So what we do is choose the best datacenters around and colocate our own servers there. Basicly we buy or build the servers, ship them to the datacenter, rent rack space and the datacenter simply plugs them in for us. Then if a hardware issue occurs, sometimes the datacenter takes care of it for us, however in most cases I employ one full time tech person per datacenter to monitor and take care of hardware. Its a perfect solution. So that is why we have never had all our servers down at once, like the other hosting companies.

All Server Administration is done by my staff of excellent Linux Admins. Nothing is outsourced!

Sorry at this time end users do not have a choice of what server they are placed on. We are currently running new clients on DELL DUAL XEON SERVERS.

Goofy? I would say excited to be part of the team :( Most every person employed by TCH was a customer at one point. We really are a big family. Its not a marketing trick or lie, its really the truth. And yes, I also saw rick ride a donkey. :D

The name TCH has only been around since late 2002, however before then our company was named *****, we switched names to give us a better brand name in the dedicated server market.

All in all, we have been in the IT business since 1999

I must say I was quite suprised to see most of TCH still kickin yesterday during that nac.net ups failure (seems to me them ups's cause more trouble then theyre worth.. ie. setting off an entire fire supression system..)

I was lookin at countless other hosts who were 'TOTALLY' offline because of that outage. it's amazing how many big hosting co's rely on 'ONE' datacenter