Comment E-mail Notification

shutuped

My site went down for some reason very briefly a few days ago. Shortly after that I realized that my Comment Notification E-mails were not working. I checked all my wordpress settings and the E-mail is still correctly listed, and the option to recieve a notification when someone comments is checked, but I'm still not getting an E-mail when someone comments.

Any suggestions?

Never seen this trouble before. As a troubleshooting step, you might try changing the email address and then trying again; that would tell you if the problem is with WP or with your email provider.

If you get the notification at the second email address, then you might check your filters and such to make sure the message wasn't getting tagged as SPAM by your email provider.

If you don't get the notificiation at either email address, then you might check with the WordPress support site.

That's what I would do for my next couple of steps, at least, if I were having this trouble (after, of course, checking with these fine TCH folks!).

Maybe somebody else will have a better suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

My WordPress also quit sending me email notification for comments around October 9th, even though I had not changed anything. I was running WP 1.5.1.3, and then upgraded to WP 1.5.2 on 10/17. But, the upgrade didn't fix it either.

I looked up the WP support forum, and found this thread at http://wordpress.org/support/topic/42963 , but I'm not sure if how to make that change, and whether if that change to the php email function would fix this.

www.djchuang.com

I run several wordpress blogs and have never had a problem with receiving comment notifications.

Under the Options General tab make sure you have a valid email address. Under the Options Discussion tab make sure the checkbox to be notified when anyone posts a comment is checked.

I run version 1.5.2 of Wordpress. Do you have any plugins installed that chould be preventing your comment emails?

Comment notification in my WP 1.5.2 started working again, magically. I have not changed any settings on my server nor in my WP options, and my email address (@gmail.com) did not have any change to its spam filter. Don't know why, but happy it's working now.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem. Was hit by comment spam, and was getting notices several days later for comments I'd already nuked.

I just installed Bad Behavior and Spam Karma 2, and life is good, but I was wondering why my emails were showing up late. Guess I was not the only one.

-kj-

Do you do this in place of requiring people to register in order to post comments? Because I require people to register to post comments on my blog, and then I have to approve the first comment from each user before they can be posted live on the blog.

However, I've often thought it would be good to allow anonymous posts, so maybe I'll try Spam Karma 2 and see how it works for me.

Edited by abinidi

If you are not using some sort of spam comment plugin on your blog you are just asking to be spammed. I recommend Spam Karma 2 to anyone running Wordpress.

Actually Wordpress' default spam countermeasures are pretty decent. I had good results with those and Kitten's Spaminator up until I tried Bad Behavior (awesome) and SK2 (also amazing). Those two are proving unbeatable.

-kj-

Edited by kjarrett

Paul, I use SK2 and the comments approve themselves and users can comment without registering. In fact I have registering turned off on my blog.

I have a couple of WP test blogs also set up where I test other plugins and I have SK2 on them as well. They collect a lot of spam and nothing has gotten through (so far). I don't expect any but you never know. These spammers get more creative in their tactics all the time.