JTD

Thinking About Changing Host's

Hello all. I have a friend who hosts here and recommended you to me. My only concern is the size of some of your plans. Not the bandwidth but the file space. Below is what I have now. I am interested in your silver plan but. The disk space alotment worries me. Now your deluxe plan would probably work. But it is far less than what I have now for the same price. Is there anyway that maybe that silver plan could get bumped to say 600 mb of disk space and that would seal the deal for me.

Silver plan

Total Features

Monthly Price =$5.00

Yearly Price =$55.00

Monthly Bandwidth = 10GB

Disk Space Allotment =500MB

What I have now

2400MB disk space

100GB (100,000MB) monthly data transfer

Unlimited Domain Parking

Host Up To 5 Websites

Unlimited FTP Access

For $8.95 a month

What I see here is different.

Silver plan

Total Features

Monthly Price =$5.00

Yearly Price =$55.00

Monthly Bandwidth = 20GB

Disk Space Allotment =850MB

Deluxe plan

Total Features

Monthly Price =$8.95

Yearly Price =$98.00

Monthly Bandwidth = 35GB

Disk Space Allotment =1000MB

prices were taken from here:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/web-hosting-plans.html

Edited by Madmanmcp

Welcome to the forums JTD :(

Madman's post is correct. Where did you get your info?

those look like the specs for the old plans offered at TCH. Thats what mine were when I originally signed up and they were upgraded to these current specs the end of last year (I believe).

I would wagger that JTD's "friend" gave him the old ones.

Looks like we may have a new family member :(

If i cant even link to my personal website in my signature. Seems a bit childish to me.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...?showtopic=4038

Those prices are over two years old. Check out the front page.

And as far as signatures go, I think if you're a member you're allowed to post your personal site in your signature. I do anyway. Probably cuts down on non-family members cruising through and posting crap just to get their website out there.

The note you read was dated Aug 24 2003, 12:16 AM , those are old rates and the URL I gave you takes you to the current and correct prices.

So the specs meet your requirements, but the choice is yours. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Tim is correct about the signatures.

As long they don´t violate the forum guidelines (link on top of page), there´s nothing saying you can´t put your link etc there.

Well you have today to convince me. the reason i say today is my package is soon to expire at my current host. Here are my questions. BTW anyone can answer these.

#1 Has this place ever been hacked. IE the forums or members websites? I have a reason for this question

My current host seems to get hacked more than its fair share.

#2 Downtime How much is there or has been? I tend to find my sites down atleast once or twice a week.

#3 Tech Support. Do they know there stuff? Some of the techs are not the brightest bulbs in the package at my current host.

#4. I currently have recent backups of all my files and mysql. Would it be easier to have you upload these or do it myself??

All in all just please tell me about yourselves.

1) Not that I know of, I have been here for 10 months, maybe someone else who's been around more can confirm, I'm interested too.

2) I don't remember having any downtime during those 10 months, if any happened, it was for very short periods or something.

3) Yeah they know their stuff very well, and reply to tickets very fast, I usually get replies that solve the issue within minutes.

4) I guess I knew your current host, they don't have cPanel right? It would have been easier if they used cPanel, anyway it's still quite easy to trasfer the database and files, download/upload files in FTP, then import the db dump in phpMyAdmin or upload it and open a ticket for the techies to import it, if it's larger than what phpMyAdmn can handle.

HTH :)

And as far as signatures go, I think if you're a member you're allowed to post your personal site in your signature. I do anyway. Probably cuts down on non-family members cruising through and posting crap just to get their website out there.

Tim is correct except that you may not create links in your signature that link outside of the TCH network. Also, Thomas pointed out that as long as links don't violate the guidelines they are permitted.

We do not want the forums to become a link farm.

From the Forum Guidelines

Signatures:

o Must be setup in your profile, and not manually added to your messages.

o May not contain advertisements.

o May not contain any external hosted links.

o Signatures may contain images, as long as they are small and unobtrusive (i.e., not animated or distracting in some way). "Banners" are not permitted.

o We reserve the right to change and/or remove your signature at any time, for any reason. You will be notified by a moderator that it has violated the guidelines or otherwise been deemed inappropriate.

If you are a TCH customer, your sites will be hosted on the TCH network and you are permitted to link to them in your signature as long as it doesn't violate any of the other rules.

#1 Has this place ever been hacked. IE the forums or members websites? I have a reason for this question

My current host seems to get hacked more than its fair share.

This is a fairly wide open question and can be answered several ways. Has TCH itself ever been hacked? I don't know for sure but I don't beleive it has since I've been here. Now on the other side of this question you would have to ask each individual member and I am sure you will find several yes answers. Each web site is responsible for their own content and some even upload and install their own scripts and programs. There are lots af them out there that have bugs and security holes and if the users of these scripts don't keep them updated are suseptable to being hacked. And yes I have seen several here that have been. BUT, that is not the fault of TCH.

#2 Downtime How much is there or has been? I tend to find my sites down atleast once or twice a week.

TCH is very proud of its uptime. But these are machines and its the Internet, things break and its not a perfect world. You may get on a server that has no issues for years, and it could be in a data center that never has any issues. You would be one of the lucky ones. And on the other side you could get a server that has a poor history. One month a memory chip acts up and cause a period of down time while they replace it and then end up replacing them all. Then the next month the hard drive goes bad and there is another downtime to replace it and reload the data from backups. Then the data center has a router problem and you are down because you are behind that router.

This is a very extreme example but "could" happen...but I doubt it. There is no Hosting site that can garantee you perfect uptime. TCH has been better than most from what I have seen

Welcome to the forums, JTD :thumbup1:

Please let us know if you have any questions,

you will find us to really be a family like group on this forum.

Oh and time the electricity failed and so did the backup gernerators at a Data Center a few months back....youneverknow...

Ok well I took the plunge. I am now a member of total choice.

:thumbup1: Then welcome to the family :clapping:

after you get settled in,

pop over to the introduction's forum

and say hello to your new family :)

Welcome to the forums and family! You won't be disappointed in your decision!

P.S. Are you a local driver? I spend quite a bit of time on the road also...mostly in the southeastern US.

Welcome to the forums and family! You won't be disappointed in your decision!

P.S. Are you a local driver? I spend quite a bit of time on the road also...mostly in the southeastern US.

Yes I am now. I did drive OTR But now Iam driving a quad axle dump.

'k. Just curious...met a lot of OTR guys on the radio. Most of them pretty darn nice!

JTD, welcome to the forums.

I trust TCH to host my personal and business websites. I think you'll find that you will feel comfortable here.

As far as the TCH tech support, they are very responsive and helpful. On the rare occasion that I do have downtime, I get paged by a 3rd party uptime monitor, and contact TCH support. Within minutes they respond to me with what the problem is and what's being done to fix it. Talk about service!

A note on downtime: it is rare, but it does unfortunately happen. Most of the time it is out of TCH's control. For instance, I think the Level(3) depeering of Cogent caused some issues (btw nobody beat me just because I work for a Level(3) company please), but that is completely out of TCH's hands.

As I said before, you'll find a comfortable home in TCH. Once again, welcome!