Opensource Cms To Use.

snteran

Not sure where the correct section for my question is, please adjust location if needed.

I belong to a PHP user group and next month we are going to be covering different CMS’s. I was wondering if there is a Preference for TCH or a good recommendation for a preferred CMS. The group is made up of a range of PHP users, some experts and some like myself, novice at best. I would prefer to go over an entry level CMS if there is such a thing.

Currently on the list to cover:

Drupal

Mambo/Joomla

Thanks,

Sergio

A good place to see the popular CMS programs (and you can also try them out there) is http://www.opensourcecms.com/

HTH!

Thanks for the info HTH, I have visited opensourcecms.com, a lot of information and the Demos are cool. I just want to make sure I will be able to use them on TCH. No use learning how to build with Drupal or Joomla if they can't be used by TCH. I guess I was hoping for more of a confirmation that other users have been successful on hosting on TCH. As well as if there is a preference to one or the other.

Hi Bruce,

Joomla is a fork of Mambo. Long story here, but all the developers that were at Mambo are now at Joomla.

Sergio, I have installed and run both Drupal and Mambo here with no problem. I have also installed XOOPS and had it up and running, but I didn't care for it.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see the two CMS systems we are planning to cover are running at TCH. If anyone is in the Portland, OR. area, you are welcome to come to the presentation.

thanks,

Sergio

Edited by snteran

• 3 months later...

popeorchestra.com is using Joomla_1.0.7 and Gallery2.

We were just getting started so I re built the site when moving from mambo.

I also had an disasterous upgrade from 1.0.x to 1.0.4 and end up rebuiling again.

The 1.0.4 to 1.0.7 upgrade when smooth as silk and I have found no errors, yet.

Every thing has gone just fine.

There are customers here using Drupal. I've never seen anyone mention Joomla though.