Message Board Suggestions

gdidly

Hey TCH, I just got my 3rd hosting package here and am looking forward to the same great experience i have had so far. With this latest project, i would like to introduce a message board for visitors to access. I have scanned the Forum and come accross a few options

phpBB

Invision Power Board

Talkshop

Simple Machines

I see PBB on my cpanel so i assume thats a free choice the TCH has available. IPB seems to have yanked their free version and I do not know much about the others.

I was hoping I could get some suggestions and perhaps some examples of known boards that people might be using these or other options for. Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as choosing one other than PhpBB, are their any restrictions as to what can e installed on a TCH server

Greg

PS...what does the TCH Family Forum use? That might make my choice easy to make. :thumbup1:

invision 1.2 is still in your cpanel under addon scripts

SMF is a very good forum.

Its up to you to install what you want, just be sure its up todate and secure.

If you need help, others here may have already installed the one you decide on.

Look under the scripting forum.

This forum is IPB 2.0 the paid version.

invision 1.2 is still in your cpanel under addon scripts

SMF is a very good forum.

Its up to you to install what you want, just be sure its up todate and secure.

If you need help, others here may have already installed the one you decide on.

Look under the scripting forum.

This forum is IPB 2.0 the paid version.

Don, are you familiar with any potential mod_security issues using SMF?

Did you try their .htaccess method from Bruce's link?

it looks pretty easy to do.

I actually did not try. I guess i was checking with the family forum to see if it was a prudent thing to do. I thought best to check with the experts first. Any time i see the word security i go cautious. I opened the ticket just to check with the folks who maintain the box. Thanks Bruce.

I actually did not try. I guess i was checking with the family forum to see if it was a prudent thing to do. I thought best to check with the experts first. Any time i see the word security i go cautious. I opened the ticket just to check with the folks who maintain the box. Thanks Bruce.
Thats actually the same link SMF gave me. Did not actually open Bruce's link assuming it was a link to the home page. Sorry, had i opened , coming from you I would have been confident trying it. Thanks again.

If you are considering SMF, you might want to be aware of what I consider to be a critical problem, and it is the only reason that I haven't implemented SMF for my forums. Here it is: SMF puts the member's email address in clear HTML text in the code of every post. So a spider that crawls a SMF forum can easily harvest the email addresses of every member of your forum.

Other forums keep the email address in the database, and use a webform to allow members to send messages to other members via email. This is a much more secure way, and I won't feel good about implementing a SMF installation until they fix this major problem.

There are some mods that try to obfuscate the email address, but as we have discussed here in these forums, simply obfuscating the email address using ASCII code doesn't necessarily make it unreadable to all spiders.

Just a word of warning!!

In the admin settings look for

Edit Features and Options

Allow users to hide their email from everyone except admins?

and

Do not reveal contact details of members to guests

which would include bots.

So when a user registers they can hide their e-mail.

But if they don't only other members can see it, not the best I agree.

And the member list is hidden from guests.