Gallery 2.0 (final) Released

I'm not sure if this is really the correct place to post this, but I'll give it a shot.. :)

I noticed the release of Gallery v2 posted today on /. and decided to give it a go by installing the minimal version. The installation process looks to be very good, but I've paused at step 3.

With our reseller account I would like to try and setup a "Multisite installation" of Gallery 2. This is a quote from the install script's step 3...

Gallery can support multiple independent sites with a single installation of the code. Choose this installation type if you want to install a new Gallery on the same webserver but in a different path, subdomain or URL domain.

With our reseller account, on a shared server, can we install the codebase at our main website, and host the gallery install for any number of the websites we resell to. This would save on disk space by requiring only one 12-18 mB copy of Gallery 2 to be installed. On the sites we host/manage, 4 small files, a database, and a few tables, etc, is all that would be required to setup a gallery.

The only problem seems to be that files running under our reseller account that reside in the path...

/home/mywebsite/public_html/gallery2

...cannot access files in another accounts path.

E.g.: /home/foobar/public_html/gallery2

Would we have to be on a dedicated server to be able to do this?

Any thoughts on how we could go about setting up a multiple site install?

The only alternative that comes to mind is to setup subdomains at our main website for each website we host, that will be using the gallery script.

Or, we could upload multiple installations of Gallery 2 to most/some of the accounts we host/manage, and in a way, we'd really be wasting disk space.

Would using the subdomain idea from above be the best way for us to go, for now, since we're on a shared server?

I’d really appreciate any advice on this topic.

Thank you very much TCH,

Mike J.

With our reseller account, on a shared server, can we install the codebase at our main website, and host the gallery install for any number of the websites we resell to.

The way I understand it, generally, no, you would not be able to do this. As you noted in your post, your account would not be able to access directories in your customers' accounts to create the necessary files, and you would not have the necessary root access to chown() the user files so your customer owns them after you create them.

Would we have to be on a dedicated server to be able to do this?

Any thoughts on how we could go about setting up a multiple site install?

I believe you would indeed need to have a dedicated server in order to do what you're asking.

The only alternative that comes to mind is to setup subdomains at our main website for each website we host, that will be using the gallery script.

On the page you linked to, this is the option described under 'G2 Hosting for Friends'.

Or, we could upload multiple installations of Gallery 2 to most/some of the accounts we host/manage, and in a way, we'd really be wasting disk space.

I'm not sure this issue is avoidable. It's not much different from the multiple copies of phpBB, IPB, Movable Type, WordPress, Coppermine, etc., that are installed on TCH's servers.

Would using the subdomain idea from above be the best way for us to go, for now, since we're on a shared server?

It's the only option you have, other than installing a separate copy for each customer. But this method has its drawbacks as well - your customers' URLs to Gallery would be pointing at a subdomain of yours, rather than at their own domain. I'm not sure I'd be happy with that particular solution. :flex: