Message Boards

srm_creator

I am thinking of starting a web hosting plan with TCH.

My main interest is setting up a message board.

The information on the different options mentions Invision Power Board

Is this option extra (meaning extra charge)? If so, how much?

Or is it included in the plan charges?

Where can I get more information about this Invision Power Board?

I can not find how to access all of their user manual without buying the package.

Will I have to buy the package by myself, or through TCH?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums, srm_creator! As stated above, there are other options available to you. You can do a search through the forums here to get an idea of what some of our family members use. Or you can also do a google search and come up with quite a few others. And if you ever get stuck, you've got a large family here to help you out!

Thank you to all for the responses!

I have additional questions:

I don't need a newer version of the Invision Power Board. I only need to know if that program is available when I register with TCH, and how to build my message board once I have registered. I am also OK with the phpBB.

I may get some domain name already registered by a friend, so that I can transfer it to the domain I want to use. Can I start my web page (by registering with TCH) without this domain name, or do I need a domain name first before I can start my hosting plan?

If I need a domain name before I can start my website, can I start with a different domain name, and later on change it to a different one assuming that new one is not owned by somebody else, or assuming my friend does relinquish the name I want? What charges would apply in this case?

If I wanted my domain name to be "somewhat easily" found by an unknown individual doing a search through AOL, Google, or Yahoo search engines, is there anything special I can do to make my domain name "available", that is, locatable by any of the commercial search engines out there? Would this cost extra?

Please forgive me if I am asking trivial questions, but I am very ignorant about this things.

Last question for today: If I sign up for a plan, and the number of visitors is such that I exceed the contracted badwidth, what happens? Am I bumped to the higher badwidth plan, or are additional visitors rejected with some sort of "unavailable host" message?

Thank you.

I don't need a newer version of the Invision Power Board. I only need to know if that program is available when I register with TCH, and how to build my message board once I have registered. I am also OK with the phpBB.
When you sign up you can go to your cpanel > addon scripts and install one or both forum scripts.

I may get some domain name already registered by a friend, so that I can transfer it to the domain I want to use. Can I start my web page (by registering with TCH) without this domain name, or do I need a domain name first before I can start my hosting plan?

When you pay for the hosting, The techs will set up your account and send you a welcome e-mail that will show how to see and access your account without a domain name until your domain name is pointing to your account.

However some things will not work properly with out a domain name.

I believe forums may not work exactly right with out a domain name.

If I need a domain name before I can start my website, can I start with a different domain name, and later on change it to a different one assuming that new one is not owned by somebody else, or assuming my friend does relinquish the name I want? What charges would apply in this case?
Yes, and later if you change your domain name just open a help desk ticket to ask that the techs change your account domain name.

If I wanted my domain name to be "somewhat easily" found by an unknown individual doing a search through AOL, Google, or Yahoo search engines, is there anything special I can do to make my domain name "available", that is, locatable by any of the commercial search engines out there? Would this cost extra?

That is a long topic, you need to get noticed by search engines primarily by being linked to by other sites already in the search engines.

Last question for today: If I sign up for a plan, and the number of visitors is such that I exceed the contracted bandwidth, what happens? Am I bumped to the higher bandwidth plan, or are additional visitors rejected with some sort of "unavailable host" message?

When you exceed 80% of your bandwidth you will get an e-mail sent to the contact address in your cpanel.

You then need to address it by upgrading or buying more bandwidth for the rest of the month.

If you exceed 100% your site will stop working until the next month unless you add more bandwidth.

But you are given a very generous amount of bandwidth and it is rare that a new site will have that problem.

Hope this helps.

The thing about forums is what do you want to be doing with them? THe version that comes with the hosting is version 1.2. That is a very outdated verison of the software. The current version is 2.1, and included MANY more features than 1.2, and is much more secure. Invision power board 2.1 will run you $70 for a yearly liscense (which allows you to use your board forever, but stops getting updates after a year) or a $185 for a perpetual liscense (which you will just keep getting updates for).

If you have the money, I'd say get a 2.x version (when you buy a liscense for IPB you can have access to downloads of version 2.0.4 or 2.1)

I myself use 2.0.4

And if you want more info on IPB, go to http://invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/produc...oard/index.html