Getting Started

rjjd

hi. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I've justed purchsed a domain name and opened an account with TCH. I've received the welcome email from TCH giving me my username and password. However, when I attempt to log into Cpanel it says "login attempt failed". Eventually, after three or four attempts, i asked for the password to be resent, but I haven't received any email from TCH giving me my new password (that was 18 hours ago). I *know* that I'm just doing something stupid, but I can't figure out what. Please help!

rjjd

Hi rjjd

Welcome to the family ;)

Have you opened a ticket at the help desk (link at the top of the page) ? If so, can you let us know the ticket number.

You can also use live chat or IM (Instant messaging AIM, MSN, Yahoo) to contact us. If you are still uncertain, PM (private message) me through these forums, and I'll take a look for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I am a Total Newbie to TCH and to web site development and I need HELP! Do you have somewhere you can point me to that has a step-by-step procedural guide all the way from building a web page and launching it? All I can find are general and rather vague directions with insider lingo that presupposes a certain amount of knowledge and familiarity with web design and launching. I have my domain and it's "propagated" (if that's the right word), but I don't know the first thing about web design (what program to use or how to get whatever I have designed so it shows up on my web site). Aren't there any total idiot's guides that give simple directions for each step in the process? (A lot of your directions don't even have links to the information that they refer to.)

Thanks for the help.

John

Hi John, and welcome to the forum :)

Its hard to start out from scratch.

There web sites to help

Here are a few links to help a beginner,

ABCs of Building a Web Site

http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/column..._web_sites.html

Web Site Building

http://www.web-source.net/website_building.htm

Start Building Your Site From the Beginning

http://personalweb.about.com/library/weekly/aa122198.htm

Beginners Guide to Making a Web Page

http://www.boogiejack.com/html_tutorials.html

But if you are starting from no experience

I really think a trip to your local bookstore like Barnes and Noble

and look for a beginners book

A book can get more in depth than any web site

and will take you step by step assuming nothing.

A few days of at least learning enough to read the html code that makes up a web page will reward you many fold.

Even if you end up using a fancy program you will still need to know a little html.

I started with a book and put the examples on my computer and played with making changes to see what happens.

And then I was hooked :ph34r:

Hi John, and welcome to the forum :)

Its hard to start out from scratch.

There web sites to help

Here are a few links to help a beginner,

ABCs of Building a Web Site

http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/column..._web_sites.html

Web Site Building

http://www.web-source.net/website_building.htm

Start Building Your Site From the Beginning

http://personalweb.about.com/library/weekly/aa122198.htm

Beginners Guide to Making a Web Page

http://www.boogiejack.com/html_tutorials.html

These are great links, Don, but what I really need help with is the procedure for publishing what I've designed. I'm happy to use cpanel, but I don't even know how to make heads or tails of it. I guess that's what I'd really like here at TCH, a step-by-step procedural for how to publish various web pages using cpanel. I can get into the cpanel main page, but then I have no idea what I'm looking at with all those icons or which icon to click on to start the process for publishing even my home page. I know there are all sorts of rules about what the files are supposed to be called and such, but I don't know what they are. I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end when I was just barely familiar with what a pool even is!

I appreciate the help. Isn't there somewhere on the TCH site that I can get this basic information?

John

John, cpanel is not the best tool for uploading a site.

It was not meant for that, but to manage your account..

To upload files, an ftp program is best

they have two windows

one showing your files on your computer

the other showing a folder on your web space

you highlight and drag files to the other window.

just be sure to put your home page ( the index.html file ) in the public_html folder

as that is where your domain name will lead to.

A free program like Core FTP light is a great way to upload.

set up is easy

I posted a screen capture in this post on how to configure it.

hope this helps.

just be sure to put your home page ( the index.html file ) in the public_html folder

as that is where your domain name will lead to.

A free program like Core FTP light is a great way to upload.

hope this helps.

Okay, I think I'm getting somewhere! Yeah!

So....I've got coreftp up and running and renamed my sample front page file "index.html" but the photos that are associated with it are not showing up on my web site. Do I have to name the photos something specific so they'll follow along?

Thanks for all the help. I'm starting to tread water, at least. :)

John

Did you upload the photos?

are they linked to in your page the same way they are named?

case matters, so checked that.

And avoid spaces in your files and image names

you can use an underscore as in image_name.jpg

And are they in the same folder as your index.html page or a different folder

if different folder are you linking to the full address of the image

with out a link I can't say why, just guess.

Did you upload the photos?

are they linked to in your page the same way they are nameed?

case matters, so checked that.

Adnavoid spaces in your file and image names

you can use an underscore as in image_name.jpg

And are they in the same folder as your index.html page or a different folder

if different folder are you linking to the full address of the image

with out a link I can't say why, just guess.

Okay, I got that figured out. Now, how do I create separate pages? Or rather, what do I name the separate pages? And where do I put them? In the public_html folder where I put the index file?

I really appreciate all this help. I feel like I'm beginning to dog paddle now. :notworthy:

Okay, I got that figured out. Now, how do I create separate pages? Or rather, what do I name the separate pages? And where do I put them? In the public_html folder where I put the index file?

I really appreciate all this help. I feel like I'm beginning to dog paddle now. :notworthy:

Yes...as Don said, keep things very simple for now and put everything into your public_html folder. You'll create links to them from your index.html file.

Advice: Since you're starting out, take things slow and easy and make sure you understand the concepts of what you're doing. It will make life a lot easier later on! Everyone started from this point, so don't think that any question is too silly! The only silly one is the one not asked! Hang in there...you'll eventually get it!