People Having Problems Entering My Site

Guest ykol20

Guest ykol20

My pages are loading really slowly for my friends that access my site. I have no large files on any of the pages. What could be the problem?

I'm definately not one of the brains of this group, but having worked a little bit with Flash, I'd say that it is your intro. causing your friends to have a slow download...the addition of music will slow it down even more.

I will say that I connected from DSL and it loaded very smoothly and quickly.

Tracy

ykol20,

Not sure about the no big files - your front page has the following file;

<embed width="550" height="400" src="http://207.44.242.2/~nchaloc/officialsiteintro.swf"></p>

which seems to be huge :P

I'm on a dial-up connection, currently running at 46,667bps, so far downloaded over 1Mb and still going strong, I'll let you know when I get to the end, but this file is way to big for us poor folk on dial-up connections

Andy

Sorry, after what seemed like about 2Mb of trying to download http://207.44.242.2/~nchaloc/officialsiteintro.swf my system seemed to give up on it.

Maybe someone with a faster connection can check the size of that file, but my connection seemed to be running well, just the shear size that made it slow.

Once I'd given up and hit skip intro the rest of the site loaded fine.

Andy

Thanks Tracy,

ykol20, I think there is the answer to 2.5Mb of problem, that file needs to be much smaller for dial-up connections. Either that or let your friends know to ignore that page and skip straight into the rest of the site :P

Andy

Guest ykol20

its not the front page im worried about, ofcourse that will be slow on 56k, its loading inside the site, my friends were complaining of really slow pageloads inside the site, where i have no big files, after clicking the "enter site" button, its a mosty broadband site anyway,

Guest Guest

its doing it right now, if you go check, after you click the enter site button it freezes up your browser, the homepage is only 250k or so in size, which is small for broadband, what could i do to fix this problem?

Good gracious. I am on an IDSL line and it has already gone into 4 minutes to get that intro! WAY TOO BIG! Suggest you optimize your images then put them back into your flash.

I didn't see the enter site button until the the intro finished or I would have skipped it.

Trying to enter the site from the flash page to http://www.nchaloclan.com/home.htm, my IE browser took a full minute, then had an error and timed out.

Tried just loading the address directly into browser, same result. There is a problem loading that page. When I finally got in, it took a long time to load. Could it also be due to the 14 flash pieces on the same page? None are large, but maybe there's a conflict?

-Samantha

Guest ykol20

exactly my point, the intro isnt that big, its 3 megs, it should stream fine on dsl, i havent had any complaints about that, i just have problems going from that first page to the homepage, then the rest of the site loads fast after one page of it loads, wheather it be the join section or the members section, example: if you go to www.nchaloclan.com/join.htm that page takes about 30 seconds to load, then the rest of the site loads fast, if you go to www.nchaloclan.com/home.htm that takes about a 30 seconds and the rest of the pages load fast.

I have a pretty nice Internet connection... loads fine for me. Do not know if something just changed.

It is true; you do have very large files... I would cut them down, way down.

Guest ykol20

the email accounts are free for members, an easy way for members to stay in touch, i dont know why it should be wrong, its just so members can stay in touch, also about the files, they proabably require flash 6 to view them properly, and none of them are bigger than 40k, the join one is like 5k

Guest ykol20

the emails arent just for random people that want an email, its just for group members, ill check out the terms of use thing on it tho,

Hi,

Having access to the largest pipe in the Uk means that the front page loads fine however i have the same problems as everyone else.

What is wrong could be any of the following:

1) The button is flash. Nothing wrong in that, but if the button is set up wrong in the flash, it will cause the error. Most likely its this

2) Your trying to open a "chromeless" window which IE 6 won't let you do any longer and it times out

3) You should always provide an simple, none grahic, none flash, bog standard HTML link to the next page.

4) If it was me, I would redo the front page offering users either a "lowband" access without the flash, or a "Highband" access with all the nuts and bolts on it.

What page is it supposed to open?

Jim

Guest ykol20

i fixed up the www.nchaloclan.com/home.htm page and it seems to load fine now, i took out the scrolling screenshot things, again its mostly a broadband site, people without broadband would proabably have no intrest in its content, ill proabably make a downgraded version when im done with the original, to me it loads fine now.

I just took a look at your page. I'm on a cable line, so I noticed no delays in the Flash presentation. However, when I tried to get to your home.htm page, there was about a one-minute (that's a guess) delay. When the home.htm page did display, it seems to have been complete with no errors.

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for improvement at this time.