Internal Links And Google Pr

dsdemmin,

First let me say how much I appriciate what you do here!

My question is this, should I be concerned just how many internal links (on site) my main page has?

and as a followup, does the way you link matter? ie:

does http://www.greatfolios.com/html/services.html equal www.greatfolios.com/services.html equal ../html/services.html ?

does http://www.greatfolios.com/html/services.html equal www.greatfolios.com/services.html equal ../html/services.html ?

It used to, but these days spiders are 'geared' to dig deep within sites. I will add this: Good sites have good structure, meaning multiple directories. It just makes organizational sense to tree (multiple level directories) a site in a logical fashion.

If one does this then pages will have hierarchical differences within the site. This plays into the complexity of the internal linking of a site.

My question is this, should I be concerned just how many internal links (on site) my main page has?
Internal links would be silly to count if a search engine does it cos its would be easy to spam

Internal linking is very important. Not silly at all... think about it.

If I was a resource of content.... say Birds. I would have to give this content some 'structure' for usability reasons. I would have some introduction regarding a very general introduction to birds and hopefully an explanation on the organization of the site. This would be my home page... where the rest of the information disseminates from (i.e. all pages should point back to this page).

Now from here I could go off into various general descriptions of more specific topics. Some of these topics would be inter-related (e.g. links to each other), others would not. More pages would be required for more specific discussion on these specific topics (still deeper). Then you could tangent off into particulars of specific birds. Deeper yet would include discussions of the evolution of that particular species (which would relate to other species, e.g. specific internal linking), research on that particular species, etc. Do you see the tree?

Now, how one links (internally) between all these pages will not only give the content structure from a user's point of view but also from a 'relevancy' point of view. It is this 'relevancy' that spiders are attempting to determine.

Does internal linking matter.... Most definitely.

Spam is a continuing problem with the search engine spiders. They continue to update their alogs for searching, finding and penalizing sites that use any devious tactics.

... this applaus me, because its so easy to spam

This surprises me... why do you think it would be so easy?

If you have 20 links on the same page linking to one page... no difference than if you have one.

Redundancy does not count. We are speaking in terms of how all the pages within a site are linked together. Not all pages should link to all pages... therefore there is a certain link structure.

Assuming your home page is the most important, it should be the only page that has every page within the site linking back to it.

Assuming your home page is the most important, it should be the only page that has every page within the site linking back to it.

So does that mean that a navbar that appears on every page of a site is a bad idea...?

If so, I have some rethinking to do.

Not necessarily a bad idea... but it definitely affects the link structure which in turn affects how each page is ranked.

Remember that a site is there for 'real' eyes to view. Therefore, I do not want to put too much attention on SEO. You never want to negatively alter a visual presentation for the sake of SEO.

Having said that, most do not put any (or minimal effort) into SEO and if you think about it... it might be your most important concern.

You could create the most beautiful site in the world but if no one can find it... what good is it.

On the other hand, some of the ugliest sites have really good rankings (and traffic!).

Which would you rather have?

Me, I like both! :unsure:

So, how correctable is a bad linking stratigy, ie: does the spider simply calculate a bad PR then on the next round, it sees a better structure and gives a higher PR?