Semi Dedicated Question

surefire

I'm considering a semi-dedicated server for my sites...

1- Does it come with WMH control panel that you see with reseller accounts?

2- Can I use it as a reseller account?

3- Anyone at TCH using semidedicated for several of their sites who can tell me their experiences?

4- Any drawbacks to hosting several of my sites on a semi-dedicated server?

Thanks y'all.

I'm considering a semi-dedicated server for my sites...

3- Anyone at TCH using semidedicated for several of their sites who can tell me their experiences?

Thanks y'all.

Hi,

Please understand that though we are logged in, some of us are not always at our desks!

Unsure, but I believe so.

I believe yes

Sorry I use silver plan

Other then should the server go down, you loose them all, nothing. But since we do a 99% uptime here, that should not be a problem

Jim

Surefire,

You must be spoiled by really quick responses here if you think that an hour of non-response is the "cold shoulder". :) A polite reply to your own post of "Bump, please?" can easily get our attention. :D

I have a semi-ded and love it. Yes I have WHM and run reseller account from it. No drawbacks that I've found.

Yep. I think you're right about the spoiled thing.

Gonna lay low from the chat for a few days.

Thanks so much for your response. I actually had put in my purchase order for the semi-dedicated and then backed out.

For my own personal sites, I'd have to have ten sites on a semi for it to make money sense, (as opposed to individual deluxe hosting plans) and it appeared that the sum total of bandwidth and disc space didn't really add up to the same as ten deluxe accounts.

I may be wrong to be using simple math to try to figure this out... but I have no experience with a semi dedicated and so I don't know how it works.

The clincher was the IP address question. I have a hard time understanding how many sites can reside on one ip without any detrimental effects.

If I get five IP's with the semi dedicated... and I need to host ten sites, then I have to buy 5 more ip's right?

Others have tried answering this question for me but I seem to be missing something.

Thanks.

Surefire,

It is quite possible and is done to run many, many domains from a single shared IP address. All of my resold accounts are using the server assigned IP address (ending .234). To date that is 17 accounts. I do have two dedicated IP's, neither of which end in .234, for use with my private Name Servers. MY domain and main account has the IP address of one of my name server IP's.

Bottom line, you don't need ANY dedicated ip's to run 10 sites from a semi-ded plan. You don't GET any dedicated IP's by default. Hundreds of domains can be run from a single shared IP. What detrimental effects are there? Well, the big one of course is the spam black list potential. Whereby if one of the sharing domains is busted for spam by the black listers, the IP is blocked, not the domain name necessarily. That can lead to problems for the other domains sharing the IP. BUT. That can happen if there are 2 or 200 sharing the IP. See?

Hope that helps somehow.

Now, as to your math. You are correct that the numbers don't add if only considering space and bandwidth. If those are of the utmost concern to you, then yes, the individual plans are monetarily a better deal. What I like about the semided is the control. I have the ability to set up an account in a matter of seconds and it's done. No buying, no waiting. If I want to cancel an account? I just log in to WHM and terminate the account. I can easily adjust bandwidth and space allotments for any domain account in my WHM. So NEVER will any of my domains get canned for overage. Lotsa nifty advantages.

My advice? Go look into WHM and see for your self. I like having complete and immediate control over my accounts and all at my fingertips.

Again, hope that helps somehow. :D

Okay... now that's what I call useful information.

I can use that.

Thanks so much. Your first hand experience is very valuable.

That sounds like what I will eventually move towards. Maybe I'll set up a semi just to see what it's like... set up a few of my client accounts there and give it a shot.

You brought up a concern that I alluded to in another recent post.

If one account on a shared IP gets in trouble with a search engine... I assume that it would be bad news for the rest of the accounts too. But that could happen anywhere, so no real solution.

This is one of those cases where too many options has my head spinning. But I've already started migrating from the other hosting company to regular TCH accounts... so that's how it will be for now.

One thing you said that doesn't jive...

You said you don't get any dedicated IP's by default...

But I got this email:

Hi,

If you want dedicated Ip's for each site, then yes you have to pay for each IP above your allocation of five that are included with the Semi-Dedicated Server Plan.

Yes this is a WHM based account, so you would have access to WHM.

Thanks

Bill Kish

TotalChoice Hosting

Strange...

Anyhow...

That info you shared is great.

Thanks.

Oh. What Bill says is gospel around here. So the answer from him is what stands. Me? Yep, I have a Semi-Ded. Nope, I don't use any dedicated IP's other than the two that I requested for my Name Servers. Do I need any more than that? .... Been doin' dandy without 'em. :D

Not sure why this is so confusing..

Semi-dedicated accounts recieve 5 IP allocations.

Each Allocation must be with justification. We follow very straight forward rules on allocation of Dedicated IP's.

When you get a Semi-Dedicated Account you get 2 nameserver ips and 3 dedicated IP's. One is assigned to the domains you will use, thus leaving you two additional IP's. Each IP above the 3 require a valid use reason.

Providing justifaction for IP's is a very straight forward task.

The only Dedicated IP Allocations that we allow are for -

Nameservers

SSL Cert's

Anon FTP sites.

No exceptions to the rule.

If you want to order 5 more ip's great. Pay for em, and list reason for them.

This has been explained in many postings.

KW - maybe we need to list this in the Help site??

Reseller accounts use shared IP's..