How Do I Upload Files If Ftp Is Barred?

shriram

Hi,

I have recently purchased a hosting plan at totalchoicehosting and am trying to install WP on my server.

The problem I am facing is that am not able to upload the WP files to my server as FTPing to a public domain site from my company is barred.

Is there any way to upload the WP package as a single zip file (I can use the file manager for this as it’s a single file) and then use a cron job to unzip the files on the server? I am not familiar with cron jobs and it would be really helpful if someone could help me out with the same.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Shriram

Yes you can use cpanels file manager to upload a zip file

then click on the zip file name

and on the right you will see extract

select extract to unzip the file.

But first see what file structure is in the zip file

as in does it contain a folder like wp

if so put the zip file in your public_html folder so when you extract it

the wp folder will be created with all the files and sub folders in side the wp folder.

if it does not have a folder but just files and subfolders

then use file manager to create a folder like wp

upload the zip file inside the wp folder and extract it.

Does that help?

Thanks a bunch Don !

That was a really fast reply :)

I shall try out whatever you have told me to do and will let you know about the results once its over.

Cheers,

Shriram

Yes you can use cpanels file manager to upload a zip file

then click on the zip file name

and on the right you will see extract

select extract to unzip the file.

But first see what file structure is in the zip file

as in does it contain a folder like wp

if so put the zip file in your public_html folder so when you extract it

the wp folder will be created with all the files and sub folders in side the wp folder.

if it does not have a folder but just files and subfolders

then use file manager to create a folder like wp

upload the zip file inside the wp folder and extract it.

Does that help?

I successfully extracted the contents of the wordpress-1.5.2.zip file into my public_html dir. Now all the WP files are present directly under public_html dir and not under the wordpress dir coz i intend to directly install WP on my root folder and not under a subfolder.

My problem now is that am not able to install it when i try to give http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/install.php

It gives me a 404 Page Not found Error :(

Can someone help me out?

No problem :)

I do this all the time instead of using ftp

as it is much faster to upload a zip file

and the extraction with file manager is very quick.

Yes, let us know how it goes

or if you need more help.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply :)

Actually i want to install it in such a way that i dont have to type http://www.mysite.com/blog. i have got a domain name only for my blog and so i dont intend to use my root folder for something else. So it would be better if i used http://www.mysite.com to reach my blog.

If i let WP install into its own subfolder, then will i be able to access my blog this way?

Cheers,

Shriram

Hi,

I am not sure why it won´t let you install it, but I would install it in its own subfolder and then follow the instructions given here. This solution would also not give you any trouble if you in future decide to use your root folder for something else.

I successfully extracted the contents of the wordpress-1.5.2.zip file into my public_html dir. Now all the WP files are present directly under public_html dir and not under the wordpress dir coz i intend to directly install WP on my root folder and not under a subfolder.

My problem now is that am not able to install it when i try to give http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/install.php

It gives me a 404 Page Not found Error :(

Can someone help me out?

I am not sure if it requires to be in it's own subfolder. The error you are getting is the page does not exist. Is the page actually there in the wp-admin folder?

Also did you edit the wp-config.php file with the information required? Do you have a wp-config.php file? The archive comes with a wp-config-sample.php I believe and you need to edit your database and username detail into it and rename it wp-config.php

I bet that Bruce's suggestion will work. When you extract the file, you have to edit the wp-config-sample.php file, and save it as wp-config.php.

This will require that you create your database first, and then enter your database information in the wp-config.php file.

The instructions that TCH Thomas pointed you to should help with that, but come back if you still have questions.

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

I had edited the wp-config.php file as well as the db details even before i uploaded the files. The page is inside the public_html/wp-admin dir but am not able to access it if i type www.mysite.com/wp-admin/install.php. Am also not able to access any other php file inside the public_html dir.

Am i doing something wrong?

I am not sure if it requires to be in it's own subfolder.  The error you are getting is the page does not exist.  Is the page actually there in the wp-admin folder?

Also did you edit the wp-config.php file with the information required?  Do you have a wp-config.php file?  The archive comes with a wp-config-sample.php I believe and you need to edit your database and username detail into it and rename it wp-config.php

You can not access your files because your name servers are incorrect.

Domain servers in listed order:

PARK5.SECURESERVER.NET

PARK6.SECURESERVER.NET

You can access your account at your registrar here:

https://mya.godaddy.com/default.aspx?ci=411

Just login and change your nameservers to

dns3.totalchoicehosting.com

dns4.totalchoicehosting.com

I access my site using my IP and not the domain name. Should i still change my name servers coz i've redirected all traffic to my existing blogger account till i get this site up and running.

You can not access your files because your name servers are incorrect.

You can access your account at your registrar here:

https://mya.godaddy.com/default.aspx?ci=411

Just login and change your nameservers to

You can use the IP to access your site until you have it setup, but WP may not work correctly until you switch the domain.

Anyway, your config file was setup wrong and I corrected it to help get you started.

I commented out your settings so you can take a look and see what was wrong.

Please try the install now :thumbup1:

I was also thinking of using my IP to access my site till i configured WP. Thanks for reminding me to change the nameserver settings but i still am not able to access the files :(

Will try the install once again.

Thanks a bunch once again Dick :thumbup1:

You can use the IP to access your site until you have it setup, but WP may not work correctly until you switch the domain.

Anyway, your config file as setup wrong and I corrected it to help get you started.

I commented out your settings so you can take a look and see what was wrong.

Please try the install now :)