Streaming Videos On My Website Help!

goldberry31

:blink: I am trying to figure out how to make a streaming video on my website. One that starts playing when website pops up. My current one you have to click on video then windows media player pops up then it takes forever for video

to come up. Course i have dial-up which doesn't help. I am an entertainer and i want my video to stream on asap. My website is www.tombartlett.net . Any suggestions? I need a wiz for this one or at least send me in the right direction. :tchrocks:

Welcome to the forums :blink:

I would suggest;

1. Convert your sound file to .rm format.

2. Upload your RealVideo files to the server.

3. Use a text editor (such as Notepad) to create a file containing a RealAudio URL. For example, the contents of your file should be in the following form: http://www.yourtchdomain.com/file.rm

4. Upload this file to the server, using a .ram filename extension.

5. In your HTML document, reference the metafile in a hyperlink. For example:

><a href="file.ram"> or <a href="http://www.yourtchdomain.com/file.ram">

When a user clicks on the link, the file will begin to download. The RealAudio Player should then begin playing after a few seconds; it does not need to wait for the entire file to be downloaded.

Welcome to the forums!

Remember that video running as soon as you go to a site could be considered over-the-top unless done for a good reason. Most sites, like the big news sites, have a "click here" to start the video so people, especially on slow connections, can decide to do it or not. It's also consideration for you as well because you'll need enough bandwidth in your hosting plan to cover the stream.

Many sites use flash in much the same way and get fussed at for taking so long to get to the "meat" of the site.

However, if it is for a good reason then that is fine and the suggestions already given will get you well on your way.

Welcome to the forums!

Remember that video running as soon as you go to a site could be considered over-the-top unless done for a good reason.  Most sites, like the big news sites, have a "click here" to start the video so people, especially on slow connections, can decide to do it or not.  It's also consideration for you as well because you'll need enough bandwidth in your hosting plan to cover the stream.

Many sites use flash in much the same way and get fussed at for taking so long to get to the "meat" of the site.

However, if it is for a good reason then that is fine and the suggestions already given will get you well on your way.

Guess that sums things up...Problem is some PC users can't pull up my video(Mac Users) because its in windows media file format....Is there a format that any computer can pull a video up with? I thought a streaming video would do that. A

streaming video is one that comes on as soon as the website pops up..correct?

Guess that sums things up...Problem is some PC users can't pull up my video(Mac Users) because its in windows media file format....Is there a format that any computer can pull a video up with? I thought a streaming video would do that. A

streaming video is one that comes on as soon as the website pops up..correct?

Unfortunately of the "five" streaming video types that I am aware of (Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Real, Nullsoft and Flash), they all require some sort of plug-in installed on the computer of the visitor of your site. The other thing you need to keep in mind is that you should use both "OBJECT" and "EMBED" tags. Some browsers (Firefox for one) support only "EMBED" while others prefer "OBJECT". Here is a sample of what it should look like for "Windows Media Player."

><object id="MediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows® Media Player components..." type="application/x-oleobject" width="320" height="304">
 <param name="url" value="vid/Sample_videos/mpsample.wmv">
 <param name="AutoStart" value="true">
 <param name="EnableTracker" value="false">
 <embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/" src="vid/Sample_videos/mpsample.wmv" width=320 height=284 autostart=1 showcontrols=1>
 </embed>
</object>

One of the most difficult video types to stream is Real, mainly because if you want to provide a control panel, you need to do a separate stream for it and the video. It would look something like this.

><table>
 <tr>
   <td>
     <OBJECT ID=RVOCX CLASSID="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11cf-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA" HEIGHT=180 WIDTH=320>
       <PARAM NAME="controls" VALUE="ImageWindow">
       <PARAM NAME=nologo VALUE=true>
       <PARAM NAME="console" VALUE="video">
       <PARAM NAME="autostart" VALUE="true">
       <EMBED TYPE="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" CONSOLE="video" CONTROLS="ImageWindow" HEIGHT=180 WIDTH=320 NOLOGO="TRUE" AUTOSTART="true">
       </EMBED>
     </OBJECT>
   </td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td>
     <OBJECT ID=RVOCX CLASSID="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11cf-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA" WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=30>
       <PARAM NAME="controls" VALUE="ControlPanel">
       <PARAM NAME="console" VALUE="video">
       <PARAM NAME="autostart" VALUE="true">
       <PARAM NAME="src" VALUE="vid/Sample_videos/real.rm">
       <EMBED SRC="vid/Sample_videos/real.rm" TYPE="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" CONSOLE="video" CONTROLS="ControlPanel" WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=30 AUTOSTART=true NOJAVA="true">
       </EMBED>
     </OBJECT>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>

You probably shouldn't stream video, if it is a large file, automatically unless it is truly needed. Not everyone has a broadband connection and not everyone will want to wait for a video to load when entering your site.

Of the "five" types I mentioned, probably your best bet would be Flash. It is more widely excepted as a streaming type/site enhancement.