Still Confused

Samrc

Last week I posted that I was considering moving our company website to TCH, in the meantime I got a personal site here, played with it and decided we would definitely move forward on the business side too.

I checked the local guy that originally set up the internet and email functions for our company. We do not use the curent web host mail server. He tells me that since we are running our own exchange server for the emails, I should not use the TCH mail server either. He said the MX mail settings should go directly to server.lambertusa.com and assign the IP address we use now for our server. He told me that I need the "zone file" (?) held by our current web host and need to provide that to the new web host so all the settings will be maintained when we move the DNS from the current host.

Where do I put the MX settings, without setting up a mail service through the TCH mail server?

Who do I provide the "zone file" too?

Before I start the process to change the site, I'd like to understand this aspect please.

Thank you for any translation of the above into english!

In addition, I read another posting that explains that email goes against the total bandwidth. Is that incoming and outgoing? Including that ever increasing crud SPAM? If I have email going directly to our exchange server, that email should not effect my bandwidth correct?

-Samantha ;)

Sam,

An MX record is like a signpost at your domain name. An email comes along, sees the MX sign and runs off in that general direction. You should be able to change the MX vaule without a problem.

Bill will be able to answer the rest of your questions

Jim

Sam - your local tech person is almost correct. If you are running Microsoft Exchange locally, then all you need to do is to go into CPanel for your TCH web site, and under the Email options you will find an option: 'Modify MX Entry'.

Click on it.

A new page appears with your domain name on the left, and the current MX entry on the right. If your domain name is lambertusa.com, then the default TCH mail server will probably appear as mail.lambertusa.com

Change the MX entry and insert the domain NAME of your Exchange server.

That should be it - no changes should be required on your Exchange server.

When I said that your tech guy was 'almost' correct, the only issue is if he was implying you could optionally enter an IP address in the MX field. If so, that is wrong. An MX entry must always be a domain name, not an IP address.

I am running an Exchange server at home, and have done a similar thing, and it works very well.

-kw

Thank you Jim for your explanation of the MX record. That made sense.

The rest does not though.

The Small Business server we run here does not have a "domain" name - it has an IP address.

Currently, our web host is also our ISP. I don't know if this is a function of the webhost or the ISP, but they have identified our IP address as the location for our email server. Somehow they have resolved the issue. I would like the TCH account to run the same way. Webhost on TCH, email processes served by the in-house server.

I understand KW that the "domain" name is needed to adjust the MX record. But since we have never needed one for this server, how is it being accomplished now? Do I need my local guy to discuss this issue with tech support directly to resolve before I make the decision to move the site? I feel like I'm being placed between to competing forces, both stating "I am right" and I'm getting squished. I would like to understand this part of the email process better!

As to patches, I know several patches have been applied, whether we are "fully patched", I can not say for certain. The current method has worked well for years.

Since the emails would be serviced by the exchange server, I would not need to add email address records in the cpanel, correct?

Also- no one answered my question re bandwidth usage and email as it pertains to this situation. ;) ;)

-Samantha

Hi,

The Small Business server we run here does not have a "domain" name - it has an IP address.
All a domain name is, is another of saying IP address, just with words. Something must be pointing to this.

Currently, our web host is also our ISP.  I don't know if this is a function of the webhost or the ISP, but they have identified our IP address as the location for our email server.  Somehow they have resolved the issue.  I would like the TCH account to run the same way.  Webhost on TCH, email processes served by the in-house server.
It should be possible to point the MX NAME to your IP address on the server.

I understand KW that the "domain" name is needed to adjust the MX record.  But since we have never needed one for this server, how is it being accomplished now?
I am assuming you must have a domain name for the current web address. This web address will have a MX name attacahed to it pointing to your server

Do I need my local guy to discuss this issue with tech support directly to resolve before I make the decision to move the site?  I feel like I'm being placed between to competing forces, both stating "I am right" and I'm getting squished.  I would like to understand this part of the email process better!
Nope we are not saying either of us is right, just trying to help :)

As to patches, I know several patches have been applied, whether we are "fully patched", I can not say for certain.  The current method has worked well for years.
I would leave this part to the tech guys.

Since the emails would be serviced by the exchange server, I would not need to add email address records in the cpanel, correct?
Correct.

Also- no one answered my question re bandwidth usage and email as it pertain to this situation. :)  :huh:
We dont answer unless we are sure. If you want me to hazzard a guess, I would say no it does not.

Hope this helps you out a bit more!

Jim

I spent a total of 22 minutes on hold today (2 separate calls) with my current provider...waiting for the next available...but never got through to tech support-web hosting.

The paperwork we provided them when we set up our services specifically states "the MX record should say server.lambertusa.com" (as I mentioned in my first post) and gives a direction to point to the first available IP address beyond our gateway IP.

I am trying to find out from the current company how they accomplish this so I can replicate here. Unfortunately, I can not make the move until I am sure we will not have email problems afterward. At this point, I am sure the website would transfer well, but I am not convinced that our email system would properly.

I appreciate the assistance you have offered. I have no such forum at the current provider and find it very informative. I look forward to having TCH as our web host once this email thing is settled.

-Samantha

I have limited experience with exchange so by no means take anything I say as fact :)

A new page appears with your domain name on the left, and the current MX entry on the right. If your domain name is lambertusa.com, then the default TCH mail server will probably appear as mail.lambertusa.com

Change the MX entry and insert the domain NAME of your Exchange server.

and

The paperwork we provided them when we set up our services specifically states "the MX record should say server.lambertusa.com"

it "should" be something as simple as what kwielbacher said, go into your cpanel and choose edit MX record, where it says mail.lambertusa.com replace that with server.lambertusa.com. That would basicly change the street sign so to speak so that your mail would know where to go.

server.lambertusa.com would be the domain name of your exchange server.

But, like i said, i'm not the expert and i could be totally wrong :)

I spoke with my current web host.

They have the MX record pointed at server.lambertusa.com AND they have assigned an IP address to that record in their DNS settings. The CPanel only has room for the server.lambertusa.com and no IP address.

Can TCH do that too or not in the backend? Without the assignment of an IP address, our email will not be forwarded to this server according to my current host. Our emails would be totally lost.

I would like to resolve this today so I can begin to set up the website transfer. With all the wonderful options that TCH offers, I can't believe this email situation would stop us from transfering the website.

Is it possible to speak with someone directly about this since my questions about bandwidth have not been addressed either?

Thank you.

-Samantha

Sam,

In order to clarify things, I need to know "how" your Small Business Server is getting the email from your current email/web provider. With the Microsoft Small Business Server, you will either configure the POP3 connector to download the email on a regular basis, OR, you will use the SMTP Connector.

I'm going to guess that your Small Business Server is simply running a POP3 connector to your current mail/web provider since you say you do not have an established domain name pointing to the IP address for your server. If that's the case, then you really have very little to do -- simply edit the POP3 connector on your SBS Server to go to the TCH web site to grab the email.

If this is not the case, then let me know ...

-kw