New Host?

Guest samrc

Guest samrc

Just found out that my current web host has a cgi-bin with a basic form mail script in it, they will not let me implement a form script of my own that will have better safeguards and more options. I spent 35 minutes on the line with a tech. Bottom-line: they want small sites (business) preferably that do not want expanded capabilities like script hosting, chat, shopping cart, etc. We have our long distance, IDSL, email, and webhosting all with this company and were locked in on a long term agreement. That time is almost over. They recommend we shop for a new host, but offer to retain our DNS?

What is the procedure for moving the site to a new host, without interrupting emails, etc that will still be handled by our current provider?

TCH seems promising alternative. By looking at the panel, I know I can use CGI scripts that are already included. Would I be allowed to use a very limited file upload script?

Any guidance here would be very appreciated! (Hello to fellow CSB users!)

-Samantha

Hi,

Here is what you do (and I would go the whole mile, its makes it more sense to move everything rather then just the odd feature, you will not loose out on anything like email or such if you follow the below steps):

I) Buy a total hosting account

II) In your welcome email, there will be an IP address, something like:

Http://100.100.100.100/~yournewname/

You can upload your total content to this site and view it using the above URL

III) Then you intruct your domain name to point to our two name servers. Both of these will be given to you in the welcome email

IV) This will take upto 72hrs with 99% of companies, some ISPs may take upto 7 days (extreme and rare). During this time, both your new account and old account will be active, so customers never miss a beat. It also means you get email no matter what happens!

V) After your happy that the domain name now points to your new account with Total choice, decomission your old web hosting account.

VI) Yes you can upload as many CGI scripts as you want (space being your limiting factor)

Its as simple as that, and whats even better, is that we are here behind you every step of the way, and also give you a 30 day money back policy!

What more could you ask for!

Jim

Edited by Jimuni

Guest samrc

Sounds too simple - What am I missing?

Who would handle the emails - our current provider or TCH?

Do we have to change anything on our business server or firewall hardware to receive those emails if they are coming from a different location?

Thanks.

-Samantha

Hi,

It is that simple, you are not missing anything! Its the best way as it allows you to get your new site running here perfectly before doing the transfer.

Answer to your questions:

I) Both in different senses. I will explain. At present your current hoster does your email. When you make the change, over a period of 72hrs, email will either go to your old hoster or Total choice hosting, depending on the persons ISP. Thats why its good to have both accounts running. After this period, all email will be handled by us. You will not loose any mail during that 72 hr period, it will either just goto us or them.

II) You will always be able to recieve your email. What you might need to check is the port number which you send from. TCH sends using its smtp using port 2095. If at work you have this blocked, you can proberley get around it in many various ways. I just use my work SMTP to send mail with no problems.

Any further queries or problems?

I look foward to seeing you as part of the TCH family

Jim

Sam, I could set you up a test account on my reseller plan so that you can try it out and make sure that everything will work ok. You still have my email address? If not, register on these forums and send me a PM if you're interested.

:D

Guest Samrc

:D Lianna! KW said you were hanging out around here! So wonderful to see you and Turtle and Curtis! Wow! I didn't realize that soo many CSB users had joined the TCH family.

I'll get with my local guy that set up our company's firewall and email system on our server to make sure that I've covered everything, then next week, I expect to sign up and begin loading the company site to TCH.

I will probably also finally get around to a personal domain too and park it with TCH.

TCH might actually be the exception to the old rule: If it looks too good to be true, it is!

-Samantha

I'm registered now... :D

A fresh Newbie again I guess.

-Samantha

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I feel like I moved up from junior high into high school. More new things to learn, tools to play with, so much to see and do. Nice to know the upper classmen are friendly.

Will take me a bit to get comfortable but I'm sure I will eventually.

KW, I didn't think you had any spare time...! Do you run on a different body clock than the rest of us?

-Samantha

I love to learn new things-it's like playtime fun! Looking forward to it.

Hope this is not the typical disfunctional family ;)

-Samantha

I hope Dr Pepper is also acceptable. Dew isn't my drink. (sorry Head Guru!). ;)

Did you say were out of Dew?

* looks in fridge and hugs 2liter of green lovely liquid and smiles

Bill, I have this image of you immersed in a large vat of dew, tubes sticking out, a neural plug linking to the Matrix of TCH, which would explain how you are always here :lol: