What Is Your Ecological Footprint?

snipe

http://www.earthday.net/Footprint/index.asp

The Ecological Footprint estimates how much land and water people need to support what they use and absorb what they discard. The Footprint Quiz figures out your footprint, and then lets you compare it to what other people use and to what is available on this planet.

Check it out! Its quite an eye-opener. :-(

Here's what I came up with:

CATEGORY -- ACRES

FOOD -- 4.9

MOBILITY -- 3.2

SHELTER -- 4

GOODS/SERVICES -- 6.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT -- 18

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.2 PLANETS.

In that case, let's use the sea floor! 70% of the Earth is ocean, let's utilize it! (no hazings please, I was only half serious).

Edited by cajunman4life

Slightly biased? ;) Heaven forbid I have running water. :lol2:

Mine is 26 because I'm a meat eater and make no apologies. While I do get local produce and beef, I'm certainly not going to feel guilty because I don't walk the 4 miles to work. Public transportation here is a joke and I don't own a motorbike.

I think for me to pass this "test" I'd have to live in a campsite in the wilderness, dig my own latrines, own nothing but a mountain bike and be a vegan.

I don't kinow anyone that has "passed" it - but I also wasn't expecting (some) people to get so defensive! LOL

I think the point they are trying to make is just that there are more things that we can all be doing to work towards a more sustainable lifestyle. (I am a meat-eater as well, and I can not walk to work, but I do try to carpool whenever I can.)

Snipe, I wasn't so much defensive as I was mocking it. :lol2:

I agree there are things we can all do to conserve energy, produce less waste, etc. but this test came across as very insulting IMO, like I should feel guilty for having basic creature comforts.

The problem is, it was pushy without giving me any relevant or useful information from the results. I like your new site much better. ;)

I *think* after the test was done, it had some suggestions - but I took it a few weeks ago, and my poor brain is about fried, so I could be imagining that. :lol2: Between that site and the Jane Goodall conference (referenced in a previous post), it really made my sister and I want to put together that one we're working on. I don't really consider myself an "activist", though by some people's standards I guess I am. That word always seems to lead to trouble! At the conference with Jane, it really dawned on me that the whole concept of "every choice you make during the day impacts the environment" isn't just a load of eco-BS. It also dawned on me that even *I* get wigged out when people call me an activist - so perhaps that word was a barrier in and of itself. (Or maybe I just need more coffee... LOL) Either way, that site was born from that idea.

I know that test is way too limiting to give an accurate picture. There are a zillion things that people could be doing (or not doing) that would influence the outcome - so while its not always strictly accurate, I do think that its assessment of you (and me, and just about everyone else I know) living a lifestyle that is unsustainable is a correct one.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 0.9

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 0.6

GOODS/SERVICES 0.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.6

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 3.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.4 PLANETS.