Hi,

I know I can have an IRC chatroom on my site using the software I have in my cpanel selections, however, The chat room I need to build I need to also be able to connect with using IRC clients such as MIRC.

Currently I do not seem able using the chatroom function, and I KNOW I wont be able to if I use phpmychat.

Is there a way I can do this? either by having a program installed or by some kind of script?

Please help my users need to be able to connect in both ways (via webportal and via mirc client)

Welcome to the forums, Drogyn! :)

I know I can have an IRC chatroom on my site using the software I have in my cpanel selections, however, The chat room I need to build I need to also be able to connect with using IRC clients such as MIRC.

To my knowledge, this statement is not correct - you cannot have an IRC chatroom on your site, nor is there anything in CPanel that would install one. Users would not be able to use IRC clients like mIRC to connect to an allowed chat application on your account, since that chat application would not be IRC.

Welcome to the forum, Drogyn. :)

From the AUP:

Internet Relay Chat

You may not use IRC scripts or programs that interfere with or deny service to other users on any other server, host, network or channel

IRC BOTS ARE PROHIBITED

You may not engage in activities which harass other users. This includes, but is not limited to, "flooding" (rapidly entering text with the intent to disrupt service), "flashing" (disrupting terminal emulation), "takeovers" (improper seizing and abuse of operator privileges), attempting to send private messages to those who do not wish to receive them, attempting to return to a channel after being banned from it, and other disruptive behaviors.

You may not attempt to impersonate other users. The use of nicknames does not constitute impersonation. You may run "clones" (multiple simultaneous IRC connections) and "robots" only as permitted by the host IRC server.

Sorry it isn't an actual irc room, just a chatroom.

I wasn't trying to ddos anyone nor create any kind of bot, merely a discussion room for another site I am working on, however if this is not allowed I will attempt to create an IRC room and then merely create a web portal so that users may connect to that using the web.

If this is allowed that is...

Sorry but to create an "IRC room" you will need to have the IRC server software running, this is what everyone is telling you you cannot do. To install the IRC server software would require you to have shell or root access which you can't have without a dedicated server.

Sorry it isn't an actual irc room, just a chatroom.

I wasn't trying to ddos anyone nor create any kind of bot, merely a discussion room for another site I am working on, however if this is not allowed I will attempt to create an IRC room and then merely create a web portal so that users may connect to that using the web.

If this is allowed that is...

Sorry but to create an "IRC room" you will need to have the IRC server software running, this is what everyone is telling you you cannot do. To install the IRC server software would require you to have shell or root access which you can't have without a dedicated server.

What Drogyn may mean is to create an IRC chat room on an IRC server running elsewhere, then install a script on his TCH account that provides web access to the remote IRC server, through the TCH server. This is not allowed either.

Thank you all :clapping:

And yes David that is what I meant.

So I cannot create a weblink which opens a webpage based portal to a chatroom hosted on an IRC server elsewhere?

The purpose would only be to allow people to join the room, there would be not bots nor other scripts running, just a window in which people could type to talk.

If this is not permitted, that is ok I just want to be sure I am correct in saying this.

I have been speaking to a friend about it, prior to this and apparenlty a Java program on the webspace would allow this.

If it is not allowed I will drop this idea, or perhaps just run the phpmychat.

So I cannot create a weblink which opens a webpage based portal to a chatroom hosted on an IRC server elsewhere?

Not on your TCH account, no.

The purpose would only be to allow people to join the room, there would be not bots nor other scripts running, just a window in which people could type to talk.

If this is not permitted, that is ok I just want to be sure I am correct in saying this.

I have been speaking to a friend about it, prior to this and apparenlty a Java program on the webspace would allow this.

As I mentioned above, this is not allowed. Even if it was, server-side java is not available on TCH servers.

Ok, no problem, we are going to just run it on an irc server and host a flash chat client on a friends server.

thanks for your help