Ftp Quota

Probably raised before, but as I didn't find anything from my search, here it goes ...

I have a friend who would like to showcase a temporary demo site to a small group of people and asked me if I have some space and bandwidth in my hosting account to spare. I have plenty, considering that is temporary and is unlikely to suck up my bandwidth, I am inclined to do him the favour by giving him a dedicated FTP account with access only to a given directory under public_html. I can create the account through CPanel, so this is not the problem. I think he is a trusted guy, but still I think it will be wise for me to set a bandwidth limit and disk quota to make sure. I didn't find any related options in CPanel (I think I have at least seen it on another host, probably).

So, is this available here?

Hi,

You can not set up quota's for an FTP accound under cpanel.

Showcasing a demo site, using your domain name, should be fine - but note that pointing a separate domain name to the files in a subdirectory would be against out policy - I'm assuming that you just wanted to upload the files though, and use your own domain name :)

Showcasing a demo site, using your domain name, should be fine - but note that pointing a separate domain name to the files in a subdirectory would be against out policy - I'm assuming that you just wanted to upload the files though, and use your own domain name :)

Yes, a subdomain under my registered domain name at most, probably I may not even create a subdomain for this purpose requiring the visitor to enter the actual path directly.

You can not set up quota's for an FTP accound under cpanel.

So, will this be entertained if I file a support ticket? If not, then I need to really closely monitor how much bandwidth and disk quota he has consumed if I am to allow him to put the site on, or I need to request him to give me the files and SQL script. I install for him so I know exactly the size it will be, but still I have little control over how much bandwidth it will be able to consume. Maybe I just worry too much.

I should have been more expicit in one answer - the servers do not have quota's enabled on individual FTP accounts, purely on the domain.

It depends how much you know and trust them as to how much access you provide.

If they are just the friend of a friend of a friend... then yes, I would ask them to send me the files, and I'd upload them. If they uploaded some warez software for example, it would be your account that was terminated, not theirs.

If they are someone you know and trust, then I'd happily give them an FTP account so they could upload their files. I'd monitor the bandwidth etc on that subdomain (easy enough in cpanel), and let them know if things started getting a bit high, but with a demo site for a few clients, I'd not expect high bandwidth.

Ok then. Thanks. I will have him send me all the files and I setup the site for him then. Seems like this is the best option I can take.

I was not insisting on setting some sort of quota, I just thought I need to have the available options known before I will promise him anything.