Help With W3c Validation.

Mav2u

Okay, so I launch my page over to the validator and I can seem to get rid of this one thing.

Line 283, column 55: there is no attribute "BACKGROUND" (explain...).

...lor="#FFFFFF" width="140" background="images/greengrid.gif" class="sidebar">

What the heck is wrong with the background attribute? Am I missing something? I've received this error on several of my backgound attributes.

Here is a link to my test site W3C validation for Mav2u site

I already have fixed the other ALT attributes and onLoad ones. I'll update so only the background should be showing. If not just ignore the others as I have corrected them.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Mav

Okay, then what can I do to keep a background image in the <td> area? I looked in my book for this and it shows "BACKGROUND" as a usable attribute.

Anyone use Dreamweaver? Is there a way to set the standard so it will only allow you to use those tags which are html 4.01? I have it checked in the preferences for 4.0 but apparently that does not flag a warning or anything.

Okay, then what can I do to keep a background image in the <td> area? I looked in my book for this and it shows "BACKGROUND" as a usable attribute.
I sense your frustration but venders include attributes that are not standard.

From HTML source (reference to table data element; <td>):

Background: This nonstandard attribute, which is supported by Internet Explorer, Netscape and WebTV, specifies the URL of a background image for the table cell.

So, must think of an alternative. Can you put the image in the table background and then change the 'other' table data cells to solid color(s)?

I'll have to look and see what I can do to wedge that bugger in there. I'll be d****d if it's not always something corn-holing my designs.

I wish Dreamweaver would set it so I couldn't use the d**n choices like it does with the behaviors. It could make life somewhat easier. Then again I should have know better once I started to begin doing fancy design and trying to still be W3C HTML 4.01 compliant.

Oh well, live and learn. Back to the think tank to figure this out.

Thanks for helping,

Mav :D

Edited by lstover

Just the <TD> is the same width while the height is auto adjusting obviously depending on the content. Can you use a css and still be W3C compliant? I'll have to mull that one over and see.

Mav

Jim is exactly right...

If the table is static, you could use CSS and layers to get around the problem

Actually you 'should' use CSS. I have been using 'pure' HTML for too long and I do not always default to CSS... I 'should'.

I will now throw a spanner in the works.

CSS is not fully supported by all browsers, neither is it the same on different browers.

Grrr!

However, CSS is the way to go and it looks beautiful once its done and also screen readers have a much easier time of reading it if you do it right.

Jim

Edited by Jimuni