Server Issues With Movable Type

Highwaygirl

Hi there, me again.

I've been getting Internal Server Errors intermittently all day whenever I try to save any of my templates. At first the problem was just with the stylesheet, but now it extends to all of my other templates (main index, main archives, etc.) as well.

The odd thing is that even though I get the internal server error, when I rebuild my site any changes that I made to those templates are shown.

I submitted a help ticket earlier this morning and was told the following:

The error is in one of the script files, probably the one associated with the stylesheets or templates.

The error you are getting is;

[sun Jul 3 09:14:05 2005][error] [client 202.56.253.42] Premature end of script headers: /home/yhyyffk/public_html/mt/mt.cgi

The most common resons for this are either a blank line at the end of a file, or a file that was uploaded using FTP in the wring format (ascii / binary)

Please be advised that the help desk does not provide developer level support for the coding of web pages, html code, php code, cgi code, graphics, sql backend or any other programming or design elements.

The main purpose of the help desk to is to aid clients with server configuration errors or provisioning problems. Your issue looks very much like a straight coding / upload issue as far as I can tell.

This was back when it was just my stylesheet giving me the error. I deleted all code inside the stylesheet and saved it successfully, then FTPd into my site and manually deleted the stylesheet from the server. Then I went back into MT, pasted the original CSS back into the stylesheet and saved it successfully.

Everything worked fine for a few hours, but now it's back to giving me an Internal Server Errors upon save. The thing is, I didn't make any changes to the CSS. I got the Internal Server Error trying to change my Main Archives template, and then on a whim decided to test the stylesheet. Sure enough, more server errors.

I honestly don't think this is a code issue on my end. I replaced the Main Archive template with the original code and I still get an error.

I'm even getting server errors off and on when I attempt to load the mt.cgi page.

Any ideas what is going on? This is getting frustrating.

There's been some issues with the latest CPanel update and MT that appears to be causing problems like what you're seeing. I'd suggest updating your Help Desk ticket (add another post) and include the link I posted above.

FWIW, there's also posts on the MT Forums where the same issue is occurring at other hosts.

There's been some issues with the latest CPanel update and MT that appears to be causing problems like what you're seeing.  I'd suggest updating your Help Desk ticket (add another post) and include the link I posted above.

FWIW, there's also posts on the MT Forums where the same issue is occurring at other hosts.

Thanks, David. I reopened the help desk ticket with links to this thread and the others you posted.

At the very least, it's good to know the problem isn't with my coding! :D

Hi there, me again.

I've been getting Internal Server Errors intermittently all day whenever I try to save any of my templates.  At first the problem was just with the stylesheet, but now it extends to all of my other templates (main index, main archives, etc.) as well.

The odd thing is that even though I get the internal server error, when I rebuild my site any changes that I made to those templates are shown.

I submitted a help ticket earlier this morning and was told the following:

This was back when it was just my stylesheet giving me the error.  I deleted all code inside the stylesheet and saved it successfully, then FTPd into my site and manually deleted the stylesheet from the server.  Then I went back into MT, pasted the original CSS back into the stylesheet and saved it successfully.

Everything worked fine for a few hours, but now it's back to giving me an Internal Server Errors upon save.  The thing is, I didn't make any changes to the CSS.  I got the Internal Server Error trying to change my Main Archives template, and then on a whim decided to test the stylesheet.  Sure enough, more server errors.

I honestly don't think this is a code issue on my end.  I replaced the Main Archive template with the original code and I still get an error.

I'm even getting server errors off and on when I attempt to load the mt.cgi page.

Any ideas what is going on?  This is getting frustrating.

I also have had internal server errors, I hope that Movable Type can correct their code to work with the latest version of pearl. I hope that MT 3.2 will have a fix for this problem.

I've had the same problems. It's driving me crazy...

Should've checked the forums first ;) Thanks

Nice to know it wasn't something I did, and wasn't something wrong with TCH.

TCH rules!

:P

Edited by AlanV

I'm getting the same internal error messages -- as are people with other hosting services.

Thanks to all who are posting their experiences and hopefully will be updating us with news of a solution, whether it comes in the form of an MT update or whatever.

The latest update on this issue from Six Apart:

If you are experiencing intermittent "500 Server Errors" while using Movable Type and are using MySQL for your database, we are aware of the cause of the prblem: a nightly CPanel update of a buggy version of the DBI and DBD::MySQL drivers.

The MT engineering team has been actively working with developer to help him rectify the problem. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep you up to date on our progress as well as post here when the problem is solved.

This has also been posted as a Known Issue in the MT Forums.

This issue is a good example of why we ask folks to open a Help Desk ticket when there are technical problems. We moved a client from a shared server to a dedicated server and he began having the errors in his MT installation. We tried several things including having him reinstall the software, we checked server configurations, etc. Everything pointed to a problem somewhere in the code.

Then we got two or three other tickets with similar complaints. At this point it was obvious that there was something more going on. Searching through the MT forums led to a thread with a description of how one user had corrected it by rolling back the DBI and DBD modules.

At that point we tried it on the dedicated server and it worked. We then did the same things on the other servers where tickets had been submitted and it worked on those as well.

By submitting a Help Desk ticket we can see when there is a pattern pretty quickly. If anyone is still getting the errors please open a Help Desk ticket and we can take care of it.

Wow, I'm so impressed with the support at TCH.

I opened a ticket at 11:06 a.m. this morning and my MT issue was resolved at 11:09 a.m. It took three minutes, and my internal server errors are gone.

Thank you to everyone, including the gracious forum moderators. I'm floored.