Mae

Index Page Issue

I made a new index page. I save it as index. It asked if I wanted to save it over the existing file. I said yes. I published. The old index page is still there. Is there something else that I need to do?

Without knowing FP, I would say no. But please empty your computers cache etc and then try to reload the page.

Never mind. I got it. I had to delete my old index page and then save my new one. I had a few heart drop to my stomach moments, but it works. :(

Yes, as Thomas suggested, you probably just need to delete your temporary internet files cache and reload the page. You've done exactly what you need to do to update the index file. One quick thing to make sure of though (I'm sure you already did, however); make sure you are updating the index file in the correct directory if you have any subdirectories with index files in your site. I found that sometimes with FP I've uploaded files into the wrong folder.

Never mind, I type too slowly, lol.

Edited by bizmo

And other tid-bit of info on index pages. You can have an index.htm and an index.html.... so a good rule of thumb is always save your web sites files/pages in only .htm format or .html ... remain consistent with whatever format extension you choose so that you are always working/changing/deleting the right page.

And other tid-bit of info on index pages.  You can have an index.htm and an index.html.... so a good rule of thumb is always save your web sites files/pages in only .htm format or .html ... remain consistent with whatever format extension you choose so that you are always working/changing/deleting the right page.

Out of curiosity, if you do happen to have both in there, which takes precedence, the .htm or the .html? I was just thinking what would the browser use between the .htm vs. .html....I'm guessing .html, but I don't know.

Edited by bizmo

Browsers can do some auto-guessing of the index file name if the initial URL doesn't return a page, but that's not what we're really talking about here.

The server config file has a directive called DirectoryIndex that determines what file names and in what order the web server will look for index files when there isn't a file name in the URL (the URL ends in "/").

I believe this is what the servers are configured to look for (taken from a forum post by TCH-Bruce):

>DirectoryIndex index.html index.wml index.cgi index.shtml index.jsp index.js index.jp index.php4 index.php3 index.php index.phtml index.htm default.htm

If you want to alter the order of pages searched, or add/delete file names from the list, you can add a DirectoryIndex directive to your /public_html directory's .htaccess file, and it will override the server's setting.

Out of curiosity, if you do happen to have both in there, which takes precedence, the .htm or the .html?

Assuming the above list is correct, if there's both an index.htm and index.html page in a directory, the server would serve the index.html file, as that file name is listed before index.htm in the DirectoryIndex directive.

Yup, that is correct. If you go to www.jimnull.com/test/ you will see an .html come up. And then if you just change it to www.jimnull.com/test/index.htm you'll get that one.

BTW ... this site is hosted by TCH with all the TCH default hosting settings in place.