Installing A Badword Filter In Phpbb

I want to set up the bad word filter in phpBB and do not want to enter each word individually which seems to be the only method provided on the built in admin panel.

At http://www.4cm.com/badwordlist/ there is a script that installs a bad word list but I can't see how to execute it in my totalchoice account.

The script has a series of lines like this in it :

INSERT INTO phpbb_words (word_id, word, replacement) VALUES (1, '*damn', '*beep*');

I don't recognize INSERT INTO as a shell command and even if it is we don't have shell access on totalchoice, do we ? So how do I get these commands executed. Someone suggested that I can do this by installing phpAdMin but that is as big a job with as steep a learning curve as setting up phpBB and I'd rather avoid that and concentrate on getting the forum running.

Thanks.

harvey

I did think there was that many bad words. :eek:

Most of them I've never even heard of. Best thing to do is just take your time and enter them yourself thru admin. I think what your speaking of thou is a query you have to do thru phpadmin for the database.

Just pick the words thay offend you and you can always add more at any time.

Just a thought. :)

Greg

harvey

I did think there was that many bad words.  :eek:

Most of them I've never even heard of. Best thing to do is just take your time and enter them yourself thru admin. I think what your speaking of thou is a query you have to do thru phpadmin for the database.

Just pick the words thay offend you and you can always add more at any time.

Just a thought. :)

Greg

Greg: Point is I didn't want to have to bother deciding about individual dirty words. I just figured someone else's list would be fine since my board members will be a very heterogeneous group. Since phpAdmin is available already I think I'll try that method.

Harvey

The script has a series of lines like this in it :

>INSERT INTO phpbb_words (word_id, word, replacement) VALUES (1, '*damn', '*beep*');

I don't recognize INSERT INTO as a shell command and even if it is we don't have shell access on totalchoice, do we ?  So how do I get these commands executed.  Someone suggested that I can do this by installing phpAdMin but that is as big a job with as steep a learning curve as setting up phpBB and I'd rather avoid that and concentrate on getting the forum running.

The commands in the "script" are MySQL database queries that add your "bad words" directly to the phpBB database.

As others have mentioned, you can run these MySQL queries in phpMyAdmin, which is already installed and available on your TCH account. (CPanel -> MySQL Databases - the link to phpMyAdmin is at the bottom of the page.)

Once within phpMyAdmin, select your database from the "Database:" drop-down box on the left side of the page if you have more than one database. Then click the "SQL" tab, at the top of the right side of the page.

Copy the MySQL queries from the "script" and paste them into the large box labelled "Run SQL query/queries on database <database_name>", then click the "Go" button just below that box. This will run the query, and assuming there's no problems or errors, all of the words will be added to the database.

Hope this helps...