Trouble Installing Gallery2

robok

Hello, i saw one person at least had installed Gallery2. When I execture the install/index.php I just get a blank screen, it doesn't even start the Install process.

Does anyone have an idea of why it would not run? I have checked file persmissions on the install gallery and bumped them to 777 just to be sure that was not the issue.

Hi robok,

I installed Gallery v2 beta 3 a month ago http://www.tomowa.net/gallery2_0b3/main.php, and it was quite simple compared to the v1.xx versions. The exact install procedures don't come to mind right now, but I'll look into it this evening if you don't have it solved by then. There is always the obvious to double check, such as the MySQL settings. Needing a database is new to Gallery v2.xx.

Just a FYI Bruce, the install tutorial won't apply to version 2, it is a completely new animal :huh: , and light years easier to install :)

HTH, Tom

I just tried the gallery2 install a few minutes ago, and it went very smoothly. Since your problem is happening right when you try to start the install script, I'm wondering if perhaps you had an unsuccessful upload of the gallery2 files.

What I did was:

1. Download the .tar file from the gallery2 site.

2. Use FTP to upload the .tar file to my public_html directory.

3. Use CPanel's file manager to extract the contents.

As a side note, I typically run into some kind of glitch if I extract to my local computer, and then upload the extracted folders and files. FTP just seems to unreliable for me.

I did not need to change any permissions to get the script started...just pointed my browser to the install folder:

http://mywebsite.com/gallery2/install

Then, the script nicely walked me through the entire process (which involved changing some permissions, adding a folder for images, and setting up a database and user). I found it helpful to keep CPanel and an FTP program open as I went through the install.

Hope this helps.

Norm Krumpe

Edited by nortk

• 4 weeks later...
I just tried the gallery2 install a few minutes ago, and it went very smoothly.  Since your problem is happening right when you try to start the install script, I'm wondering if perhaps you had an unsuccessful upload of the gallery2 files.

Nortk got it exactly right, i had trouble with my initial upload of the files. I did not know you could extract through cPanel, so I learned something there too!

Thanks for those who posted, I just wanted to post this follow up as a thank you. I was out of town for two weeks and couldnt reply before.

I did get it running here though:

http://www.gadgetboygenius.com/gallery2/main.php

Rob.