MT install giving 404 errors

darkgraysheep

First I have to heap loads of praise on the TCH team for such a great board. :dance: I have been spending all day trying to install MT for the first time, with the help of the excellent tutorial from TCH and while I ran into a few hiccups (my own stupidity) I was able to find a solution to every problem by searching the archives here. But now I am at a standstill. Not sure if it is the late hour (after 12am here in Sweden) or if the answer just isn't in the archives, but I am not finding it.

Here is my problem, the best I can explain it. Keep in mind I am a total newbie to everything involved in having a website of my own. Before today I could ftp and design basic pages, but that was it. I've gotten through the installation process and to the screen where you login with melody/nelson. But that's where it goes off in a handbasket. I've been a bit confused with the core setup and have tried many different combinations after reading the archives here. But things still don't work. Here is what I have right now:

Local Site Path: /home/mycpanelname/public_html/blog

Site URL: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/blog/

Local Archive Path:/home/mycpanelname/public_html/archives

Archive URL: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/archives/

Btw, the cpanelname is the login I got in my welcome email right? It's a bunch of random letters.

From what I understand, after I save changes, I am supposed to click "rebuild site" but when I do, nothing happens. So then I go to view site and I get the cgi-bin directory page. But have also gotten this message with other combinations used: You cannot view the contents of this directory. If you are installing Movable Type for the first time, look at the Installation Instructions.

But the biggest problem is that I keep getting the 404 Error message at random it seems. And it happens with almost anything I click on, even "Main Menu" and "logout". Yet I have been able to do 4 test entries and I can't figure out how and I can't view them, only edit them.

Here is the exact error message if it helps: Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/mt.cgi was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.darkgraysheep.com Port 80

The only other thing I can think to add to help solve this mystery is the address I used in the mt.cfg file: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/mt/

I have been sitting here for hours trying different things, and I should go to bed, but I refuse to give up. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I know it is probalby something simple, and is probably right in front of my nose, but for now my brain has frozen up!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums, darkgraysheep! :dance:

It looks to me like you need to create the "archives" directory in your public_html directory for MT to write your weblog archive pages in. MT won't create it for you - it will display an error instead if it does not exist.

The problem with the 404 errors referencing "URL /cgi-bin/mt.cgi" sounds like MT is not reading your mt.cfg file properly. Make sure that the CGIPath setting in mt.cfg does not have a "#" at the beginning of the line, and re-upload the mt.cfg file to your server, making sure that it is uploaded in ASCII mode (*not* BINARY mode).

You should be seeing some sort of errors when rebuilding, but since you're not, have you changed the 4 entries you wrote from "Draft" to "Publish"? MT doesn't publish entries that are set to "Draft".

Your Weblog Config settings look correct, so I don't believe they're causing you any of your problems.

Hope this helps...

Local Site Path: /home/mycpanelname/public_html/blog

Do you want your blog to be at the top level (darkgraysheep.com) or in the "blog" directory (darkgraysheep.com/blog/)? Because you have both of them specified above, which could be causing some problems because the two don't match.

If you want it at the top level, you'd need to change the above to this:

>Local Site Path: /home/mycpanelname/public_html
Site URL: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/

Then create the "archives" directory right under public_html.

If you want the blog files in the "blog" directory, you need to change the above to this:

>Local Site Path: /home/mycpanelname/public_html/blog
Local Archive Path:/home/mycpanelname/public_html/blog/archives
Archive URL: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/blog/archives/

Then create the "blog" directory right under public_html, and then the "archives" directory inside the "blog" directory.

The only other thing I can think to add to help solve this mystery is the address I used in the mt.cfg file: http://www.darkgraysheep.com/mt/

Did you upload all the files from Movable Type into the above directory? In the mt.cfg file this line tells everything where the core files are, and if it is wrong things won't work correctly. If you uploaded them into any other directory (such as cgi-bin) you need to specify exactly where on that line in the mt.cfg file.

Do you want your blog to be at the top level (darkgraysheep.com) or in the "blog" directory (darkgraysheep.com/blog/)? Because you have both of them specified above, which could be causing some problems because the two don't match.

I'm not aware of any issues with the Weblog Config settings that darkgraysheep is using, provided that both the /blog and /archives directories exist in the public_html directory. MT does not require the Local Archive Path to be a subdirectory of the Local Site Path.

I'm not aware of any issues with the Weblog Config settings that darkgraysheep is using, provided that both the /blog and /archives directories exist in the public_html directory.  MT does not require the Local Archive Path to be a subdirectory of the Local Site Path.

This is true. I realized it right after I posted but didn't edit my post because a lot of people tend to like to keep things "neat." Meaning, if the blog is in a subdirectory, then it's just natural to put the archives in the same subdirectory.

Welcome to the forums, darkgraysheep!  :dance:

It looks to me like you need to create the "archives" directory in your public_html directory for MT to write your weblog archive pages in.  MT won't create it for you - it will display an error instead if it does not exist.

Okay, I have done this now.

The problem with the 404 errors referencing "URL /cgi-bin/mt.cgi" sounds like MT is not reading your mt.cfg file properly.  Make sure that the CGIPath setting in mt.cfg does not have a "#" at the beginning of the line, and re-upload the mt.cfg file to your server, making sure that it is uploaded in ASCII mode (*not* BINARY mode).

I checked the to make sure there was no #, but I am not sure about reuploading. And here is where my lack of experience will shine, but when I go to the cpanel-file manager and click upload, it of course directs me to my own hard drive, but the altered mt.cfg file is on the file manager, not my harddrive. If I were to upload it, wouldn't it rewrite the one I configured using the tutorial?

You should be seeing some sort of errors when rebuilding, but since you're not, have you changed the 4 entries you wrote from "Draft" to "Publish"?  MT doesn't publish entries that are set to "Draft".

When I click rebuild nothing at all happens. No screen comes up, it's like it's a dead button. And when I did the test posts I did change them from draft to publish. So that isn't the problem.

Your Weblog Config settings look correct, so I don't believe they're causing you any of your problems.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your help! As I said, it is probably something obvious. Some tiny detail that I am not catching.

Did you upload all the files from Movable Type into the above directory? In the mt.cfg file this line tells everything where the core files are, and if it is wrong things won't work correctly. If you uploaded them into any other directory (such as cgi-bin) you need to specify exactly where on that line in the mt.cfg file.

I think so. This is from the tutorial and this is what I did:

4. From cPanel, access File Manager, click to select the tar.gz file, then select Extract File Contents

5. Rename the created directory (something like MT-version#) to mt/ on your web site

So the folder that everything is in is called "mt". Is that what you mean?

The problem with the 404 errors referencing "URL /cgi-bin/mt.cgi" sounds like MT is not reading your mt.cfg file properly.  Make sure that the CGIPath setting in mt.cfg does not have a "#" at the beginning of the line, and re-upload the mt.cfg file to your server, making sure that it is uploaded in ASCII mode (*not* BINARY mode).

I checked the to make sure there was no #, but I am not sure about reuploading. And here is where my lack of experience will shine, but when I go to the cpanel-file manager and click upload, it of course directs me to my own hard drive, but the altered mt.cfg file is on the file manager, not my harddrive. If I were to upload it, wouldn't it rewrite the one I configured using the tutorial?

Since you're editing mt.cfg directly on the server, forget what I said about re-uploading the mt.cfg file - this is not causing your problems and you don't need to re-upload it.

What do you have for the CGIPath and StaticWebPath settings in your mt.cfg file, and does the StaticWebPath setting have a "#" at the beginning of the line?

You should not have to do this, but to get it working quickly, I'd suggest removing any "#" at the beginning of the StaticWebPath line if there is one, then change it to the following:

>StaticWebPath /mt/

Save the mt.cfg file, and you should be in business! :dance:

You should be seeing some sort of errors when rebuilding, but since you're not, have you changed the 4 entries you wrote from "Draft" to "Publish"?  MT doesn't publish entries that are set to "Draft".

When I click rebuild nothing at all happens. No screen comes up, it's like it's a dead button. And when I did the test posts I did change them from draft to publish. So that isn't the problem.

I believe the "dead button" problem is a symptom of MT not reading mt.cfg correctly (specifically, the StaticWebPath setting). The rebuild button (and a number of other buttons) in the MT interface use some javascript code to make them work. This javascript code is in the mt.js file, and MT currently isn't looking for it in the right place, making the button appear "dead". When MT is reading the StaticWebPath setting in mt.cfg correctly, the rebuild button should start working too.

What do you have for the CGIPath and StaticWebPath settings in your mt.cfg file, and does the StaticWebPath setting have a "#" at the beginning of the line?

You should not have to do this, but to get it working quickly, I'd suggest removing any "#" at the beginning of the StaticWebPath line if there is one, then change it to the following:

>StaticWebPath /mt/

Save the mt.cfg file, and you should be in business!  :dance:

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!! I believe this did it. You are the MAN! My hairs that haven't turned gray or been pulled out yet, thank you as well. :)

You're almost there.  I think you still may have a problem with the CGIPath setting in your mt.cfg file too.  It should read like this, based on what you posted in your first post:

>CGIPath http://www.darkgraysheep.com/mt/

You are right...I am still having problems...but at least now I am getting an actual Movable Type page, whereas before I was getting a plain text page. So that is an improvement. :dance: Yes, I do have the cgipath set up like that in the mt.cfg file.

# Movable Type uses the CGIPath setting to construct links back to

# CGI scripts; for example, the MT tag <$MTCGIPath$> is substituted

# with the value of the CGIPath setting. You will need to change this

# value when you first install MT; instructions for doing so are in

# the Installation Instructions, in INSTALLING THE MOVABLE TYPE

# APPLICATION CODE, Step 3.

http://www.darkgraysheep.com/mt/

So shouldn't it say mt in the Core Setup instead of blog? But when I change it I get an error page.

So shouldn't it say mt in the Core Setup instead of blog?  But when I change it I get an error page.

That line in mt.cfg is to set where the MT script files are located so it can run, and not where your blog will be. The URLs that you put under Core Setup are where you want your actual blog files to be seen.

Though it looks like you've figured that out. :)