Guest Book Hijack?

Hi - I apologize in advance if this is a basic question.

For various reasons it has been a long time since I checked in on my Guest Book. I did so today, and it appears to have been hijacked! A mictrsoft dialogue box pops up saying something about defacement and lists an email address I have never heard of. Then the page is redirected to some page dealing with defacements and computer crimes!

Can someone explain to me what has happened? How to fix and how to prevent a reoccurance? To see what I mean, click on the link below to my home page and then scroll down and click on guest book.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Russ

My Home Page

Hi,

It looks like you are using Adv. Guestbook 2.2 while the current version is 2.3.2 so first of all, so I strongly suggest that you update it immediately (The latest can be found here). Secondly use strong passwords.

Third, you can be alerted about updates by subscribing to the Software/Scripts/other alerts forum.

The earlier version the more vulnerable, so that in combination with perhaps a not strong password can make it easy for the bad guys to break in.

What exactly happened in your case I can´t tell. Sorry. :)

If you stay with Advanced Guestbook, you might want to look in to an image verification or the like as it will keep down the auto spam. I have set it up on mine and have not gotten ANY spam with my Advanced Guestbook.