Banning

Hello,

I would like to ask about one delicate problem. I run a site and one person with rather fascistic point of view enjoys looking at my site and later running a propaganda against it. I found his IP, but there first problems arose:

1) he is connecting from a firm server. The problem is, this is a big firm and other persons that I trust connects from there too.

2)this undesirable person seems to use dynamic IP. For example, I see his IP:

"john.bigfirm.net.". When I enter (copy/paste) it in to IP deny manager, it tells me that this cannot be resolved to an IP adress. Dynamic one?

I cannot ban all the site as it would be ridiculous.

The question is:

can I edit my htaccess file in this way:

deny 123.456.000-123.456.999

allow 123.456.123

allow 123.456.456

I thought it would adeny all users from 123.456 except these two.

Am I right? What should I do in order to protect my site from sucha unwanted visitors? :)

What should I do in order to protect my site from sucha unwanted visitors? :)

I don't know what you mean by "running a propaganda against it", but if this user is abusing your site in some way, I'd suggest registering a complaint with this person's company and/or the company's hosting firm.

Given that this user is within the company's network and does not appear to have a fixed IP address, I don't see how you would be able to block this user unless you were willing to block all of the IPs that the company uses (which you said you do not want to do).

The question is:

can I edit my htaccess file in this way:

deny 123.456.000-123.456.999

allow 123.456.123

allow 123.456.456

I thought it would adeny all users from 123.456 except these two.

Am  I right?

This won't work because 1) you can't enter a range of IPs like you have in the 'Deny' directive, and 2) the 'deny' and 'allow' directives are missing the mandatory term 'from'.

Your above example would need to be set up like this:

>Deny from 123.456
Allow from 123.456.123
Allow from 123.456.456

I have a feeling that the above would be *way* too broad - the above will block over 65,000 IP addresses contained within the 123.456.*.* IP address block, except for IP addresses in the 123.456.123.* and 123.456.456.* ranges (255 addresses each). This is really overkill to block just one person.

There probably is a better way to block this person, but without knowing how you are able to identify this person or more details about what they are specifically doing to your site, it's impossible to say what way would be best. :P

About this person: I dislike his point of view when he says Nazi were not as bad as they are talked to be, that Nazi propaganda symbols are not as bad as they are etc. Last his 'joke' involved Pope to be blessed by Adolf Hitler.

Whatever he finds on my page, is used against me in a manner ("one commercial (`*.com) page wrote...) I cannot sue.

I identified this person because he wrote in his blog that he managed to read my site. I have blocked almost everything from this site except those that I do know. Also there is only one IP that I cannot block. So I think I do have a right to ban this person away.

Well...but is it possible to enter just IPs name, for example:

deny john.bigfirm.com ?

I am not sure if this would work, but per chance I may block the name? is it technically possible?

Edited by sardaukar

Well...but is it possible to enter just IPs name, for example:

deny john.bigfirm.com  ?

I am not sure if this would work, but per chance I may block the name? is it technically possible?

You should understand that 'john.bigfirm.com' is a domain name, not an IP address. Yes, you can deny a domain name in your .htaccess file (note the 'from' again):

>Deny from john.bigfirm.com

When checking access by domain name, Apache (the web server) performs a double reverse DNS lookup on the remote IP address to match the hostname. Since you said that john.bigfirm.com "cannot be resolved to an IP address", I don't think Apache will block anything as a result.

I identified this person because he wrote in his blog that he managed to read my site. I have blocked almost everything from this site except those that I do know. Also there is only one IP that I cannot block. So I think I do have a right to ban this person away.

You can ban whomever you like, but it doesn't sound like this person is doing anything to your site other than reading it. Blocking specific people from reading your site by IP address tends to be a losing battle because they can always switch IP addresses or switch machines to ones that are not blocked.

Sometimes you just have to let the idiots prove how ignorant they are on their own. People who read his garbage and agree with it will do so no matter what you say or do. Anyone else will read it and say "what a moron" so it really doesn't matter too much which way it goes.

There will be idiots. Everyone else will know what they are from the words they preach.

Thanks for advise. I currently left things as they are.

However, I found another one man who has been banned for flooding and violating my site's rules (accusing me on plagiasim, calling others insane etc). He managed to use his IP adress from Urugvay, also he lives in the EU and his provider is not an Urugvian company.

I did not look into my awstatus, but I suspect infamous "Anonymizer.com". Is there any way to stop this? I mean, is it possible to ban all users from "anonymizer.com"? If anyone has any experience with this - I would appreciate any support.