Army

Frontpage Forms

Hi, my name is Army and i am a new member to TCH and i just want to say hello to everyone on the TCH team and to all the members on this forum.

I seem to be having some problems getting the Mailing List form i created on frontpage to work. When i filled out the form to test it out, it doesn't seem to send any results to my email address and does not link to the confirmation page i created but instead sends me to a page with /cgi/formmail after my domain name.

I checked my panel and the frontpage extensions are installed.

I not sure what i am doing wrong with the form i created. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Welcome to the forum, Army. :)

I don´t use frontpage, so I don´t know the answer, but hold on and someone will solve it for you. :eek:

Welcome to the forums, Army! :)

I don't use FrontPage either (not to create forms, anyway). When the Submit button is clicked, the form data should be sent to a script on the server. The script processes the form data, e-mails it to you, then shows your confirmation page to the user.

I'm not 100% sure this is your problem, but you say that the script tries to send you to /cgi/formmail. If this is what I think it is, your form is trying to use a formmail CGI script, and those are disabled on TCH servers (you can't run them) due to security and abuse issues. If this is the case, you'd need to find another mail script to use with your form.

Welcome to the forums. From the location that you said (/cgi/formmail) it appears that you are using a script created by another family member. This is written in PHP, not specifically Frontpage. You might want to check out his forum found here. He checks his forum quite often.

:) Edit: Man! It would help if I wake up and have some coffee before answering posts first thing in the morning! :eek:

Army: Check out the URL link I gave you. If you have questions on how to install that, then you can ask there or on the forums here as several family members also use that script. There are many other options out there...TCH-Don gave you another good one to look at. Check things out and let us know what happens. We're here to help! (Even without the coffee!) Sorry for any confusion!

Have you placed your email to send to into the options section of the form in FrontPage?

Right click the form you have created and choose 'form properties'....

Select the options tab,

go to the email tab, and put your address in here

remove any file address from the file name area of the 'file results' tab

That should take care of it.

Welcome to the forums, Army :)

Front page should not try to use formmail as far as I know,

formmail has been disabled for a long time and FP users still create their own forms.

so if Jim's instructions do not work for you

you could always try a php form, there are many to be found through google

many here are using dodosmail as a simple form.

Keep us informed how your form works out.

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome to the forum and thanks for all the info.

I tried other modifications to the form and still no luck.

Frontpage can be a real pain sometimes :tchrocks:

Jim i tried out the instructions you gave me and it now sends me to a

page with _devived/northbots.htm after my domain name.

I just signed up with the Mailing List on the cpanel and im considering

using that form on my website instead of the frontpage form

but i have no idea how to include it on my webpage.

Is there a code i have to insert on my webpage.

Welcome to your new home, Army!

Sorry, I don't use FP so I'm not sure how to help but these other guys here will be able to work it out with ya.

If you use Ultimate Form Mail, you'll have to make some minor modifications to the code found in the HTML tab...not in the WYSIWYG section. Dodosmail might be the same type of thing (I haven't used this). If you still can't get it to work, send me a PM with a link and I'll see what i can do to help you out.

Hey Steve, what if i create the Mailing List form in Dreamweaver. Do you think i'll have the same problems i've been having with Frontpage. Please let me know, so ill get the program and design the form on Dreamweaver.

Has anybody here created a form on Dreamweaver and was it simple to upload without any complications.

I am by no means a programmer, but I think you would have the same problems. It's not the form per se, but the script needed to execute what you want to do. As mentioned above, formmail has big-time security issues which is why TCH does not allow it.

On a side note, you don't really need a special program to write HTML code...you can even do it in Notepad! But the applications DO make life a little easier!

A form is a just a regular HTML page. Every form needs something on the backend to process what's entered. It doesn't matter what you use to create the HTML page containing the fields of the form. You need to call a script to process it.

You can use dodosmail as Don suggested or Ultimate Form Mail as Steve suggests or the FP built in form bot which I never used.

HI Amy, hard to tell what's happening, sounds like you may have some settings incorrect, or other things installed messing with your source. I would suggest starting all over on a test form, see if you can get that going. Feel free to check out this one attached, too, to compare your code.