Site design help

Lorraine

Hi,

I'm a newbie, not only to TCH, but to web site ownership. I'm totally confused--what with all the acronyms and "foreign" (to me) words. :goof:

My first question is: Is MS Publisher a good web site builder? I made my site in Publisher because it came on my computer. I made a nice-looking site that I really like, but now I want to add photos and captions to one of the pages, and all I get are rectangles with those little picture icons in the upper left corners. I've been tying for three days to figure out how to do it.

Would I be better off starting over with a different web-site builder? If so, what can you suggest that's free or very inexpensive? I have one by the Serif company called "WebPlus 8". Anyone know anything about that? How about making a site using MS Word?

Thanks for any help you can give me. :(

Lorraine

:goof: Welcome to the Family Lorraine :(

and your new home!

Can you give us a link to your site so we can try to see the problem?

As to MS publisher, I have not used it,

but if you are happy with your design and just starting out,

stick with it and see what happens.

You will find as time goes by and your experiance grows you may want to try other programs.

You might also check the help menu to see how images are handled by the program.

Are they uploaded for you?

or do you have to upload them with another program like ftp (file transfer program).

Another thing to look at is the names for your images.

Case matters and you really should just use lower case.

Your program may upload them as all lower, but you may have used upper and lower case on your page.

You can add a - or a _ between words in the names

to make them more readable like my_photo.jpg

let us know what else you need.

We really are like family here.

So if you need anything,

just ask your new family!

We love to help :w00t:

Welcome to the forums. MS Publisher should work okay for you since you are just starting out. But like Don said, as you get more experience, you'll want to move to something that will allow you more creative freedom.

Welcome home Lorraine. Anything that helps a new designer is a good thing until you start to get a grasp on things. I started with FrontPage and have slowly graduated to designing mostly by hand.

If you have a way to look at the code I would so you can see what order things fall into and begin to understand how things work. From there you can hand modify things to better suit your needs.

Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your welcome messages. I got my images to show up on the page. Yaaay! I'm not sure how I did it, but at least they're there.

Now on to the next adventure in web site ownership! I'm sure you'll hear from me again soon.

:dance:

Lorraine

Edited by bbssvrnb

Hi Lorraine and welcome to the family! :dance:

MS Publisher is not a website building package. It's a software package made for desktop publishing and it's not suited for website creation.

The problem is that it doesn't produce HTML files and various images for your page, it produces one HTML file with one single image centered on it. This image is like a "screenshot" of the whole page you designed, so if you designed a page to fit in 800x600 resolutions, the image file will have that size. If you do it bigger, the image will be bigger, etc.

And MS Publisher will do this even if you only have text on your page, which means you'll be producing HUGE (in file size) pages when a couple of Kb would have done the job.

Given all this, I'd recommend you start with something like Nvu, which is a visual, or WYSIWYG (What You See Is Waht You Get) editor just like Frontpage or Dreamweaver with two big differences: unlike Frontpage, it produces standard code that will work on all browsers and not only Internet Explorer and unlike Dreamweaver, it costs 0 because it's Free/Open Source software :dance:

After you get used to making your webpages this way (with the help of a visual editor) I recommend you start coding HTML by yourself. This may seem a bit daunting at first but I guarantee you that the advantages are countless. And it's not that hard to learn, either. Here's a good place to start: W3Schools' XHTML tutorial.

By the way, I recommend you learn XHTML instead of HTML. They're both the same language but XHTML is like a newer and better version of HTML.

Well, good luck! If you need anything, just ask :)

Edited by borfast

Thanks, Raul, :dance:

I'll try Nvu and see how it works for me. My hubby has taught me a little bit about HTML, so I'll work on learning it as I go along. Thanks for the link to the HTML learning site, also. Wish me luck!

Lorraine

Thanks, Raul,  :angry:

I'll try Nvu and see how it works for me. My hubby has taught me a little bit about HTML, so I'll work on learning it as I go along. Thanks for the link to the HTML learning site, also. Wish me luck!

Lorraine

Welcome! Good luck, keep at it - despite the occassional aggravating little problem you can usually find all the help you need here or with judicious use of Google!

Edited by jwbowden

I like Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004. There is also Edit Plus, I really like that text editor to do all my fine tuning in.

Welcome home Lorraine!

Raul has good points about Publisher not being a web-type program. As a result it creates pretty poor websites (lots of extra junk, etc). Nothing wrong with it but it's probably not the best tool to start off with.

You'll hear about Frontpage, Dreamweaver, hand-coding but don't worry too much about it. Pick something cheap/free and fun to start with and when you get to where you need the power of Dreamweaver (DW) or FrontPage (FP) or some of the others you'll know it. :dance:

For now just enjoy creating websites and don't be a stranger to the Family Forums - there are lots of helpful folks here!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your fast and friendly help. I've been working on learning Nvu, but finding the help documentation pretty sketchy. So I'm back to the TCH forums to fill in the blanks. I feel confident I'll find what I need to know.

Lorraine