All,

I've read the recent cron threads here, but I'm still not exactly sure what I need to do to set this up.

I've opened the Cron setup tool in CPANEL and selected the frequency I want the command to run, but I'm still confused as to what to put in for the command.

Basically I want it to run a php file like *****/maint/file.php

should the command be:

GET *****/maint/file.php > /dev/null

and is the > /dev/null needed?

Thanks for the guidance.

Paul

should the command be:

>GET *****/maint/file.php > /dev/null

and is the > /dev/null needed?

GET makes a web page request through the web server, just like a browser does, and whatever the web server sends back is returned to the command. In a cron job, any output by a command is interpreted to be an error and e-mailed to the user. The "> /dev/null" discards the output from the GET command, so cron won't be triggered into sending an e-mail when you don't want it to. (Yes, it is probably needed.)

Not too long ago, I tried using GET in a cron job on my account and it did not work. I had to use an alternate form of the GET command to get it working:

>lwp-request -m GET http://www.my-TCH-site.com/path/to/file.php > /dev/null

Instead of using GET, you might want to try the following in your cron job instead:

>php -q /home/cpanelName/path/to/file.php

just try

/home/your-tch-cpanel-name/path-to-file/file.name

if the file is in a folder below the public_html folder, use

/home/your-tch-cpanel-name/public_html/folder-name/file.name

This will work if the file has a shebang line for the first line of the file. Without it, a cron job can't run the script file directly. A PHP script would need the following as the first line in order to be run directly in a cron job:

>#!/usr/bin/php

• 3 months later...