A Couple Newbie Questions

wes

Hello! I have a couple of hosting questions for you.

I am the webmaster for a startup nonprofit corp, and this is my first time managing a website -- so apologies up-front for the basic questions I'm about to ask. The website is currently located on my personal members.cox.net account. We have a domain, which we are not yet using, that is registered under an individual's name (not me, but someone else with the nonprofit). At this point, I don't intend to transfer domain registrars, just looking for a 'real' host.

Should I sign up for hosting using my name? The domain owner's name? The corporation's name (yes, we are actually incorporated)? Does it really matter as long as the right people know how to log into the account? Or does it come down to a billing issue -- eg whose credit card gets used? If we register under an individual's name and that individual leaves the nonprofit, can we change the 'owner' of the account? Either way, I'd like to handle the sign up myself, even if it isn't under my name, if that's possible.

It's currently a small site (1.73MB used, ~70MB monthly transfer), but I intend to add a phpbb forum and newsletter mailing fairly soon after signup. Seems to me your Starter plan would still be more than we'd need for the foreseeable future, but curious to know if you think otherwise.

Thanks very much.

Hi Wes, welcome to the forum. :goof:

I would say signup with the credit card name,

but this is more a question for Billing, try presales@totalchoicehosting.com

if you do not get an answer here.

The starter plan should last you a long time.

But you can easily upgrade later.

You can add the phpbb in cpanel (your website control panel)

or download and install it from the source PhpBB

and some help from our help site.

if you need more help, please ask :)

Welcome, Wes. I would personally recommend installing phpBB manually (cpanel version is a little out of date). I'd be more than happy to help you do that if you want to pm me, or ask here in the forums. We're a helpful bunch, really.

And the starter plan should last you plenty long. I started with the plan just a step above that (Silver), and come no where near close to any of my allotments (space or bandwidth, but I'm working on filling both up :))

Thanks very much for the tip! I may just take you up on that offer. :thumbup1:

And thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome.

Welcome, Wes. I would personally recommend installing phpBB manually (cpanel version is a little out of date). I'd be more than happy to help you do that if you want to pm me, or ask here in the forums. We're a helpful bunch, really.