Front Page Access

Rickasaurus

Hello,

I have given one of my users FTP access to modify our site. However he wants to use MS Front Page to do the site mods. I have enabled Front Page extensions in cpanel.

He says the FTP access is fine, but says he has read only access with Front Page, and no permission to modify.

Could you please advise how to give him access to public_html to modify the site (but not cpanel access)

thanks

Rick

Sounds like you have given the user FTP access to a specific directory. If you are sure you want to give this user WRITE access to the ENTIRE site, make sure that you set him up to access the root ( /home/yoursite/public_html/ - note the trailing slash). If you want to limit the user to a specific directory, then simply enter the directory when setting up the FTP account.

Sounds like you have given the user FTP access to a specific directory.  If you are sure you want to give this user WRITE access to the ENTIRE site, make sure that you set him up to access the root ( /home/yoursite/public_html/ - note the trailing slash).  If you want to limit the user to a specific directory, then simply enter the directory when setting up the FTP account.

Steve, thanks for your reply. I do want to give him FTP access to the entire site (not cpanel). I have set him up as an FTP user, and he can access FTP OK. The problem is that he wants to access with MS Front Page, and says that when he tries to logon, he is only allowed read access. Apart from enabling Front Page extensions, is there anything else I need to do, in addition to the FTP access, to give him full access with Front Page?

thanks

Rick

I hope you trust this person. You can lose everything. I went though this problem once before. Becareful. A backup or two wouldn't hurt.

Jason, thanks for the timely advice. The problem is that it is his site, and he wants to play with it himself! But I do have a backup!

Rick

Jason, thanks for the timely advice. The problem is that it is his site, and he wants to play with it himself! But I do have a backup!

Rick

Well in that case... Let him mess it up... LoL :tchrocks:

Yes! But how? He claims he cannot access with Front Page, but I have given him FTP access, which works, and enabled Front Page extensions. What else must I do? :dance:

FrontPage has it's own built in publishing feature. If you are wanting to use all the features of FrontPage, the webbots, you should not put content on your site using FTP, you should use FrontPage to do that via publishing.

I have Frontpage but I use an outside FTP program. FireFTP and or web-based Net2FTP work great. Ohh I would ditch Frontpage and download OpenOffice.

Thanks Jim. In this case, I designed the site some time ago, using Dreamweaver. Now the client wants to make some changes himself, using Fronpage. However he says he can get read only access, not permission to modify. I have given him FTP access, and installed Frontpage extensions. Should I be doing anything else to give him write access with Frontpage?

Rick

To the best of my knowledge, Bruce is correct. (It's been a while for me, too! Unfortunately, I'm on the road and don't have access to my books.) Once he does that, the permissions issue should work. If it doesn't, let us know and we'll see what else your family members can find out for you.

To the best of my knowledge, Bruce is correct.  (It's been a while for me, too!  Unfortunately, I'm on the road and don't have access to my books.)  Once he does that, the permissions issue should work.  If it doesn't, let us know and we'll see what else your family members can find out for you.

Thanks guys!