Ie Won't Open When Right-clicking A Php File

TheMovieman

Hello, I wasn't sure where to place this...

The problem is, in my folder where I store all of my web pages, I normally can right click a php file and choose Internet Explorer, and it would open. Now, there's a slight flicker like something was trying to open but is stopped and then nothing happens. It seems this is only a problem with the php files as any htm or html files (as well as graphical ones) open fine.

I have tried chancing the settings via the Control Panel and have all php files open with IE, but it just does the same thing... This isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying as I like to see what the page will look like in IE before publishing it. Now, I do believe it is a problem with IE as the files will open in Firefox.

This is a problem that has started recently (the only change that I can think of is SP2 was just installed).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I tired doing a google search on this but the only items concerned right-clicking an item while online...

Thanks in advance

Brian

PS: I can open IE regularly and it works fine, it just will not open php files on my computer...

Edited by TheMovieman

i'm not sure if this will help or not, but the php file may have errors in it, also perhaps sp2's firewall might have an issue with php files ( i couldn't imagine why) but if you are running XP, go to Start/Programs/System tools/Security Center , then click on windows firewall and turn it off. try the php file again and if it doesn't work then we know that isn't it..

the next thing you might want to try to do is maybe try another browser like firefox (just for testing purposes, if you like it great. if not it's easily gotten rid of) and it if worked then you narrowed it down to IE, if it didn't, obviously there is something wrong with your system settings.. as for what i couldn't tell you. as i just tried opening a .php file with firefox and IE with no issues..

hope this helps.. and i'm sure someone else will know what to do if this doesn't help out.. :)

oh one last thing, check the file attributes.. i don't think that would be an issue. but maybe it is..

Patricia

Edited by Patricia

If you are trying to open PHP files on your computer they will not display without have a web server and PHP service running on your computer.

PHP files are processed by a server to display them in your browser.

You can install a web server with PHP by getting a copy of Xammp or Xammp lite. www.apachefriends.org/en/

The thing is, I never had a problem opening the php files before...

And yes, it will open with Firefox so it is an issue with IE. I wouldn't mind using Firefox, but it looks too different (for instance, the left sidebar border normally shows up -- the php code is inside and I realize that can't be visible -- but in FF, there's nothing there...)

I run Norton's firewall, therefore the Windows FW is not on so that's not the issue. Just for kicks, I turned off Norton's FW and AntiSpam software and still no dice...

Have you tried saving the files to disk and opening them on another computer's version of IE? Just to see if it the problem is on your computer or truely is a general IE problem?

I'm also wondering if you might have updated (or Windows auto-updated) either IE or whatever Apache version you have and in the process changed the path to PHP. Maybe IE just can't find your local server.

Have you tried saving the files to disk and opening them on another computer's version of IE? Just to see if it the problem is on your computer or truely is a general IE problem?

I'm also wondering if you might have updated (or Windows auto-updated) either IE or whatever Apache version you have and in the process changed the path to PHP. Maybe IE just can't find your local server.

OK, so I put a file on my jump drive and tried opening it with IE on another computer, and it did not open. This one also has the SP2. I then tried it on my laptop (which as far as I know has not been updated with the service pack) and this time it did open the file.

Again, this isn't a huge deal and I guess I can get ued to using Firefox, but now I'm just curious as to WHY this is happening, ;)

Edited by TheMovieman

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Try the following:

Open IE, choose 'tools', then 'Internet options', click on the 'Advanced' tab, slide down to 'Security' and check the following, 'Allow active content to run in files on my computer'. Click on Apply and OK

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...