Spam

Guest Serpentine

Guest Serpentine

Let me preface this by saying that is not in relation to my TCH account. I am asking anyway because the knowledge of the family here is tremendous. Move post as necessary.

I have my Internet service through COX. While I like the speed, I am noticing that the amount of SPAM I recieve is increasing on a daily basis. Now, I don't use this address to sign up for anything and judging by the addresses in the CC: field it looks like they are just going down a list of names.

COX offers no forwarding and their "SPAM tools" do nothing. The biggest annoyance are those for online medications. Used to be I could filter by keywords in the email but now with images and what looks to be email with tables to seperate those words I am having a tough time keeping to those rules.

Despite myself, I use Outlook and like it to some degree so I dont want to change programs due to my comfort zone if I do not have to. I know there is software that I can use that will let me "check" my mail before I download it but I am not a fan of adding anything that I dont need to.

I am tempted to just tell those that send me mail to just start using my TCH account instead and stop using my ISP mail altogether.

How do you guys combat SPAM on your personal accounts?

Except for my cpanel accounts here I do not use my ISP e-mail and get no spam there.

I do get a lot from one of my sites,

because I started out years ago with the addy on a page. :D

Spam assassin marks most spam,

and I use pop tray to check e-mail and delete the ones marked by spam assassin

and pop tray filters mark even more so I can click a button to delete them.

I am left with only 10-12 a day to delete my self.

I too have Cox as my ISP. I use their server-side spam filter (which nabs 98% of spam), and I use Mozilla Thunderbird (with a well-trained bayesian spam filter) which usually nabs the rest. I used to get between 500 and 600 emails a day, all but one or two of which were spam.

That'd be a great way. At least to take out the spammer.

Edited by cajunman4life

Hello everybody

I use office outlook and i just have one rule set up and it gets rid of all my spam quick and easy. :D

the rule goes like this " when I receive email from my main account check my address book if person is in there then leave it alone if not then delete it" :)

Then I have outlook delete what ever in my trash folder upon exit.

So I don’t even see the spam this works great with personal contacts.

but as for my web sites not sure yet I was thinking of puting a form mailer that will say something like my daughters name in the CC field then make a rule in my outlook saying if cc field has my daughter name leave it alone if not then delete it.

only draw back to this is if somebody emails me straight from there system and not my site using the form mailer

i hope this helps for your spam problem

Guest Serpentine

That's my line.

I too have Cox as my ISP. I use their server-side spam filter (which nabs 98% of spam), and I use Mozilla Thunderbird (with a well-trained bayesian spam filter) which usually nabs the rest. I used to get between 500 and 600 emails a day, all but one or two of which were spam.

I am using that filter as well. If it is getting 98% of it then I must be getting thousands a day and only seeing 100 of them.

Hi,

Independent of the ISP that we use.

I use Spam Assassin in the basic configuration.

Every day eye my email in webmail and later low in outlook.

I delete the Spam in the webmail.

This of more the work but was my solution of security.

In the monday, I receive more or less 150 Spam´s for post office box.

I find that the Spam is increasing very very.

"No problem with TCH" :)

Edited by paulo