Question About Using Domain Names

mc82

Hey Guys, I was wondering if it was possible for me to buy another domain name and have it directed to a specific page of a website not owned by myself?

As an example:

I buy www.DomainName.com and would like it to be directed to www.somewebsite.com/folder1/page1.htm (this page would not be mine).

Is this possible? I know I could redirect a page by using HTML code.

Also, when a person uses my domain name, will the address bar show it as my domain name or the actual websites domain name?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

If you have a virtual account then this would be against the Acceptable Use Policy.

You may only host one domain per virtual account; resellers are allowed to host unlimited domains.
Your subdomains are allowed to be used for any legal purpose. You may not sell the subdomain space to others, nor may you point other domain names to your subfolders.

The only option you have on a virtual account is to point/park a domain to the main page. You can NOT redirect via HTML/script or the domain registrar, but you can provide someone a subdomain (e.g. www.totalchoicehosting.com/sub).

Guest Serpentine

If this is at another host then it can be done and you can get masking to make it look like your domain and not the other one. Again, as Dick said. This cannot be done here but it might be able to be done if it is at another host and their AUP allows it.

Yah the site would not be on Totalchoicehosting since it has not relation to the current website I have.

Dick, when you say park, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean I can have two domain names pointing to the same main page?

Serpentine, what exactly is required to mask a domain name? is it illegal?

When you park a domain, it is like two domains sharing the same site. I have a domain parked on my main domain, and it works like this:

If users hit mymaindomain.com (this is not the real address), they see the index file in the public_html folder.

If users hit myparkeddomain.com (also not the real address), they also see the index file in the public_html folder.

Users can go to mymaindomain.com/folder, and they will see the contents of the folder that exists in public_html/folder.

If users go to myparkeddomain.com/folder, the will also see the contents of the folder that exists in the public_html/folder BUT the address bar will show mymaindomain.com/folder.

With a parked domain, you can use both domains for email addresses. (However I'm not sure what happens if you have two accounts with the same name under the different domain names (e.g. admin@mymaindomain.com and admin@myparkeddomain.com). I'm not sure if the system treats them as the same mailbox or not.)

As far as I understand it, that is how domain parking works. It is pretty neat.

It looks like abinidi has the parking bit covered.

As for masking, it is exactly what you described in your initial post.

I buy www.DomainName.com and would like it to be directed to www.somewebsite.com/folder1/page1.htm (this page would not be mine).

Also, when a person uses my domain name, will the address bar show it as my domain name or the actual websites domain name?

Abinidi, thanks for the explanation.

TCH-Dick - What I was asking was how do I do such a thing as mask a domain name? Would this require me to put two domain names on my host (which is not allowed)? or is there a easier way?

I posted this question on a different forum and people thought I had bad intentions, just to clear things up a little. I am using a seperate website for a blog of mine. I would like to give some friends the webaddress, but the name is way to long, so for that reason I want to buy a new domain name and redirect/park it at that blog. I then need it masked because I have realized from my other blogs that people keep copy and pasting out of the address bar and not the webaddress i give them, so it will be hard for others to remember the address.

Masking is done through the registar and I believe most registars charge for this. I would look at where your blog is, see if they offer a service and compare that to what the registar offers.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Where are you hosting your blog and is it something you can install on your TCH site? YOu could host your blog on your TCH account in a subdomain (blog.urTCHsite.com). You just cant point a domain to that subdomain.