Wordpress Theme Editor

abinidi

I installed WordPress yesterday, and I really like it (so far).

I am wondering about one thing: when I go to the theme editor in WP, I see the .php file for the theme I want to edit, along with the message, "If this file was writable you could edit it."

What file settings do I have to make in order to edit these files in WordPress? I really, really, really don't want to break anything, as I've got it working almost perfectly (including importing all my Blogger comments, and categorizing all 111 blog entries!!)

Thanks for your help.

I ended up doing some of both; I really wanted to edit the files online, so I changed the theme folder (and individual theme folders) to 777, and changed all the files in the individual theme folders to 666. I was able to edit the files in the WordPress theme editor, but it was REALLY slow. Then I realized that I had basically the exact same functionality in the File Manager in cPanel. I navigated to the page that I wanted to edit, and clicked "edit this page." I was able to edit it online without having to download/reupload it, and I don't have to change the file security settings to do so.

This was a perfect solution for me. I thought I'd share in case it helps somebody else later.

-Paul

Jason,

Did you install Net2FTP on your own server, or do you use the one on their site? & What are the benefits of a web-based FTP client? Is it as secure as a desktop FTP client?

-Paul

Edited by abinidi