Irc Server

elvenjess

Please read the Acceptable Use Policy! Here is a direct quote fro the policy:

Internet Relay Chat

You may not use IRC scripts or programs that interfere with or deny service to other users on any other server, host, network or channel.

IRC BOTS ARE PROHIBBITED

You may not engage in activities which harass other users. This includes, but is not limited to, "flooding" (rapidly entering text with the intent to disrupt service), "flashing" (disrupting terminal emulation), "takeovers" (improper seizing and abuse of operator privileges), attempting to send private messages to those who do not wish to receive them, attempting to return to a channel after being banned from it, and other disruptive behaviors.

You may not attempt to impersonate other users. The use of nicknames does not constitute impersonation. You may run "clones" (multiple simultaneous IRC connections) and "robots" only as permitted by the host IRC server.

You are bound by this policy in its entirety and it's in your best interest to be familiar with its terms.

If YOU set up an IRC server on your TCH account, then your IRC server would be considered the "host IRC server".

Ok, HG will correct me here if I am wrong. I am not familiar enough with the way IRC works to make a definitive judgement. However, from my perspective, you cannot setup a "host IRC server" on your account. You can use scripts, etc. supplied by other IRC hosts to make their services available on your site here. But the warning is, be very careful of the script and service you choose and know the ramifications of it.

It really sounds to me as though you have some homework to do in terms of how the things work and what resources are required. If you can be specific here with an example, then maybe we can help direct you more appropriately. What is the intended effect on your site, what are you wanting to provide your visitors?

Ok, I'm going to wait on HG for the answer to this one. My guess is nope, can't do it. But I'm a 'better-safe-than-sorry' person that has limited knowledge of this particular topic.

I'll keep my eye on this thread so that I can learn too. :)

If you do anything IRC related on our servers your account will be terminated without notice.

I see his reason for confusion. It's says that IRC Bots are prohibited and that "You may not use IRC scripts or programs that interfere with or deny service to other users on any other server, host, network or channel." but does an IRC daemon fall within this verbage? To me it doesn't. (I would like to point out that I'm not disagreeing with your policy in the least - I've never hosted with anyone that allowed IRC daemons to be run, and I understand why you woudn't want them.) The way it reads to me, the (quoted) policy specifically prohibits bots and scripts, but doesn't say anything about running the ircii daemon itself. I could have missing something since I didn't follow the link to read the rest, but thought you may need to clarify that so it wont come up in the future.

TCH Rocks

Vincent

Ok, HG will correct me here if I am wrong.  I am not familiar enough with the way IRC works to make a definitive judgement.  However, from my perspective, you cannot setup a "host IRC server" on your account.  You can use scripts, etc. supplied by other IRC hosts to make their services available on your site here.  But the warning is, be very careful of the script and service you choose and know the ramifications of it.

Not neccisarily true. I've run an IRC daemon before on a previous host (they wanted me to after I asked, so they could see how it would impact their servers - I think they even had to make a few changes to the server's config before I could run it correctly.)

It does however take some know how and some configuring. I also used to run an undernet server that only I had access to back in '93 on my old University VAX account . (I don't remember why I needed it, but I had admin help in setting it up then too.)

But yeah, it's possible - but it takes some server config file tweaking if I remember.

Vincent

Nobody is saying it isn't possible, lstover was pointing out that we don't allow it, not that you couldn't do it at all..

That's what I thought - but lstover said However, from my perspective, you cannot setup a "host IRC server" on your account. which implies that it is not possible, as apposed to may not setup a "host IRC server" which would imply you are not allowed to. Simple misunderstanding on my point - I read it too literally. My point, however, was that the quoted Acceptable Use Policy excerpt states may not use IRC scripts or programs that interfere with or deny service to other users on any other server, host, network or channel. It sounded kind of vague to me too in that it definately says no scripts, but I would have asked about the server as well (if I didn't already know that almost no host would allow it.) No biggie.

The point is we don't want anybody doing it, hence why it's a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. 

Agreed.

TCH Rocks

Vincent

ok..Fresh Newbie here.

I expect to move my company's website to TCH in the next week or so. It currently has a live chat window (the script came from freejavachat.com and I think it is a java applet, but the window states IRC-JAVA chat. Should I dismantle that page before bringing the site over to TCH so we don't get booted?

Does TCH offer a simple chat function (for business use)?

Thanks.

-Samantha

I use the chat quite a bit as well. If someone doesn't have one of the IM clients (of the many you can see below) I send them to my chat.**** page and we can work from there. Nice thing is it's web based so firewalls don't block it like some do with AOL, Yahoo, etc.

Thanks - That's the type of chat I was looking for from my current host. They don't provide any so I shopped for the freebie. Will delete the current chat before bringing the site over.

Last night, I finally bought the domain name samisite.com and this afternoon I already started to post part of my personal site! I will try adding a chat and go from there.

-Samantha ;) :D :D

Thanks for the nice words. ;) Didn't realize it was already viewable by others! It's just a basic site...don't have much time for anything major. I was using 3-free 10mb sites provided by ISP and jumping links between each (only one part has been moved) and also a test area on the main site I am building. All will eventually be combined in one place, finally!

Hadn't considered a guestbook. May have to think about that, after I get the chat window up, maybe tonight..! <_<

I am not a fan of Instant Messages...the new MSN version has too much spam these days so the chat window is a nice alternative.

-Samantha

Sam,

Try Trillian by Cerulean Studios for IM. You can simultaneously connect to MSN, Y!, AIM, IRC, ICQ accounts using one slick little interface. And no spy-ware or popups attached! Best: it's free! (I have the paid version so I can use some cool addins.)

...slapem.wav... I love that one! :huh:

Now that I have a bit of space to play with, I will add a few more sounds. (got lots of seriously silly ones, Seinfeldisms, startrek, incoming mail..)

Have put some unusual ones on the office machines to replace windows sounds..One woman's husband left a voicemail that I recorded, cut and made soundbites for her workstation. He was surprised to hear his own voice saying "HEY!! are you there?" and other things when he visited! She smiles everytime she gets an error message! Makes for a happy environment.

This morning I added image links at the bottom of the homepage to several sites that offer CSB/Trellix help. For Turtle, Curtis and KW, I used the avatar from this board since they are similar in size and go so well with their sites. Lianna, I used your spinning logo, if that's alright.

Please let me know if any of you want me to change the logo I selected for you. Thanks!

My Webpage

Thanks for the kind words. I just finished my little dragonfly stamp a few minutes ago and added it to my homepage. Liked it so much I decided to make it my avatar. Patterned him after a dragonfly that's in a watercolor print that I have. He's just an excuse to play with Paint Shop Pro crayons! (Didn't realize it would change on my previous posts too... )

Yes... I have more pet pics to post, including my favorite lopeared rabbit, Chubbs.

-Samantha