Connecting A Laptop To A Desktop

RockNRollPig

okay...so here's my question.....is there anyway to connect a laptop to a desktop without having to set up a network? like some magically little cord that is in say the form of a USB cord that would allow you to transfere files between the 2 computer without having to set up a network? does this sound dumb? i just ate some pizza...

if you want to use usb

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...5608&pfp=SEARCH

(or go to www.compusa.com and search for "direct connect")

they also have a parallel port model thats alot cheaper. (20 bucks compared to the 49.99 for the usb one)

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...0033&pfp=SEARCH

if you plan on doing this alot, and or xferring big files, your better off putting a nic into the desktop (5-15 dollars) and getting a pcmcia notebook card (29.99 for a linksys usually) and network them both :)

PERFECT!!!!! :) i think i'll go w/ the belkin.....8 bucks is cheaper than 50 and 20 :) ....especially since i'll really only be using it like twice....thanks!!!

hmmm...i'd most likely be transfering from windows 2000 on my laptop to either windows ME or windows XP...and it would be just files...i wouldn't be running any programs through it...

For the choices previously identified, the crossover Ethernet cable is the best. But it does require that you then configure the disk drive on one of the two computers to be "shared" - not a difficult process, just thought I would point it out.

Another solution, altho it will cost a little money -- is to get one of the new fangled USB mini-storage devices. These are little things that can literally hang off your key ring, and comes with 64MB, 128Mb, 256MB or 512MB of "disk space". Compared that to a floppy disk that has 1.4MB of disk space. So a 128MB memory USB drive will hold the equivalent of over 80 floppy disks!

The brand I have is called the Lexar Media "Jump Drive". You simply insert it into an available USB port -- no software to load -- and voila!, you have a new drive! Copy files to it, pull it out of the USB port, go to the other computer and copy the files from it.

The 128MB version is currently priced under $50.

Click here to take a look at it!

-kw

I would choose something like this over the standard keychain microdrive thingys. This adapter functions very similarly, but uses removable flash media like compact flash, MMC, Sony Memory Stick, smart media, secure digital, etc. This fact means that you can upgrade the amount of memory, for one thing, because the storage and the USB interace are seperate items. You can also use it to read the storage cards from a digital camera, PDA, or MP3 player, making it multi-functional in the extreme, rather than a one-trick pony.

Yeah, Lianna, that's the one I was originally thinking of. With the plunging prices/MB of flash media, I just can't see buying a keychain drive that doesn't have a standard type of removeable flash media.