Email Security

Today I've recieved over 20 emails on my server TODAY, generally to different non-existing names, and always from different addresses. Some well recognized, though probably fake (mindspring, aol), and got one today from my College's mail server, listing a few emails that hadn't worked. This might very well be on my comptuer, but I thought you guys would know where to start with this. I've scanned my comptuer, removed the spyware's and such. Have good firewall protection. Any ideas as to what's going on? All of the emails have attachments, which I've quickly deleted.

Sincerely,

ShawTheatre

I, too, have recently been getting a LOT of spam in my personal email. (Used to get maybe 1-2 messages a month!) Guess spammers have been sending out new mailing lists to each other! You are doing the right thing to try to combat it by scanning your system and deleting the messages without reading them. Have you got Spam Assassin turned on? The SA settings may require some tweaking.

I, too, have recently been getting a LOT of spam in my personal email.  (Used to get maybe 1-2 messages a month!)  Guess spammers have been sending out new mailing lists to each other!  You are doing the right thing to try to combat it by scanning your system and deleting the messages without reading them.  Have you got Spam Assassin turned on?  The SA settings may require some tweaking.

I've got it set up so I get all the spam mail (to get it off the server). I don't mind doing that a little. I made some of the default spam addys go straight to the trash... such as you@blahblah.com, but these are sent to random emails, and so they're all coming to me. I'll see if I can tweak a little more. Lemme know if you make any progress.

I always set the default email address to :Fail: and then you don't get any of the spam to 'random' email addresses. Any addresses you do want (for example I always use temp ones for signing onto web forms) you can always set up a forward to your real account. If it then get's hit by to much spam, simply remove the forward.

I always set the default email address to :Fail: and then you don't get any of the spam to 'random' email addresses. Any addresses you do want (for example I always use temp ones for signing onto web forms) you can always set up a forward to your real account. If it then get's hit by to much spam, simply remove the forward.

Not a bad idea, the only problem is all of the web address are names, and because the site is mainly for companies reaching stage actors it's important that they get that information. I'd hate to have someone leave out a letter and not get a job offer. :D

Here's an example of what I'm getting. ShorterTheatre.com is the site... and as far as the verified "No Virus" message... I just laughed.

This is an automatically generated E-Mail Delivery Status Notification.

Mail-Header, Mail-Body and Error Description are attached

*** Attachment-Scanner: Status OK

*** "SHORTERTHEATRE" Anti-Virus

*** http://www.shortertheatre.com

Sound advice and the way I have mine set up. :D

One thing I do that helps is to have Spam Assassin here set to a normal (4-6 depending on the account) setting and then forward everything to Gmail which seems to have very good spam filtering as well. From there I forward the email out to one of my clients that needs stuf forwarded to AOL. That way there's no auto forwarding to AOL from TCH (a VERY bad idea because of spam) and I can direct it any way I want with Gmail. On top of that I get a ton of storage so I can keep the emails around a long time.

Andy, got this message (took out your email).

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

**** @ totalchoicehosting.com

This message has been rejected because it has

a potentially executable attachment "mailing error.eml"

This form of attachment has been used by

recent viruses or other malware.

If you meant to send this file then please

package it up as a zip file and resend it.