Phpbb.com

mystic

I'm trying to add a forum to my site at www.wholesalespotter.com and according to the guy from TCH that i live chatted with said its pretty straight forward to set up a forum on my site using phpbb.com and would only take about 2 min but i still don't understand how. Could someone please explain to me exactly what i should do to install a forum on my site using phpbb.com and since this server has unlimited database i thought it would take only like 2 min. Please someone give me steps on how to do this.

Here is a link to the installation instructions

I would download the current version of phpBB to install from their site and not install the one that is in your cPanel.

Download the full version of phpBB 2.0.14 to your computer and then upload it to you webspace and use the cPanel File Manager to extract the archive.

Hi mystic,

Yes, phpbb is quite easy to install. Creating your MySQL database first may be the only problem, depending on your familiaorty of doing it. As Bruce says it is best to install it from your own download of it, as opposed to using cpanel.

Please someone give me steps on how to do this.
What exactly is the hangup? The phpbb directions are pretty clear, no use in re-writing the whole directions here if only one bit of info is the hang up :goof:

I like Invision also (though not as much as I used to, I think they are getting a little big for their britches lol), it's install procedure is the same as phpbb, input your database paramaters and admin account info.

HTH, Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have a question about upgrading my phpBB. I installed it through cpanel many moons ago, and I would like to upgrade it to 2.0.15. So I uploaded all the files (overwriting the old ones). Upon visiting the URL, I was faced with the install script. I chose upgrade, however by chosing that I couldn't select anything else than MySQL 3.x, and TCH servers use MySQL 4.x. I still tried to upgrade, and got a "couldn't connect to database" error. I then tried to do a fresh install and obviously had problems with that (the database was already populated from the previous forum). I finally got everything restored back to a semi-sane state... but I would like to know how I should go about upgrading.

Perhaps it's because the phpbb user in the database didn't have a password (and I was using a password in the install script)? Because when I set up phpbb through cpanel it doesn't prompt for a password for the phpbb user.

I hope this is clear as mud for everyone. Can anyone help?

The thread gave me a good idea... basically I downloaded the "changed files only" package, found the 2.0.11-2.0.15 archive, uploaded those files, and ran the update_to_latest.php from the /install directory, and all is peachy now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

The thread gave me a good idea... basically I downloaded the "changed files only" package, found the 2.0.11-2.0.15 archive, uploaded those files, and ran the update_to_latest.php from the /install directory, and all is peachy now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

You're welcome. I probably would have tried harder to upgrade without deleting and starting over if I had actually had some content in my forum. As I was just testing it, I didn't try to hard to make it work.

Now, hoever, there are 21 topics in my forums, so I would be grumpy if I didn't get it right next time. I think my potential grumpiness would increase with the number of posts in the forums!! :huh:

Anyway, glad you got it to work.