Blog Spamming

whoahorse

I will leave this to the Blog experts.

Just chiming in with... I really hate spam.

I do to. I have no idea why they are spamming such a boring blog. LOL!

Is there an option to moderate the comments?

Then approve them.

I did search around once for that..I may have to spend some more time looking.

I only have that blog to show my clients what is possible - I don't really add or build on it..but that spam is horrible!

Weezy

I will leave this to the Blog experts.

Just chiming in with... I really hate spam.

I do to. I have no idea why they are spamming such a boring blog. LOL!

Is there an option to moderate the comments?

Then approve them.

I did search around once for that..I may have to spend some more time looking.

I only have that blog to show my clients what is possible - I don't really add or build on it..but that spam is horrible!

Weezy

Well, the spammers don´t need interesting blogs to advertise their stuff.

I installed wordpress as a test a while ago. After two days I had made one post saying something like "This is just a test". The rest of the blog contained two posts, both were spam.

My blogging ended there.

http://www.horseblog.com/

Is there anything I can do to fight all this spam in the comment fields?

Weezy

Hi Weezy

Most spammers like this have bots that crawl the web looking for certain scripts. If you watch your raw server logs for a while you will notice hits looking for the standard installation of scripts like formmail, popular guestbooks, free-for-all link pages etc.

The best way to fight this is to make your installation somehow non standard. For example, I had one of those free-for-all link lists on my last site. From the first day I installed it there was spam. I simply added one more required field "I agree to pay $10,000 removal fee for each spam link I post: yes, no." The spam stopped immediately, not because they were afraid of the fee, but because their bot no longer fit the required fields and someone would think twice about adding that field to a bot.

Sometimes just moving the program to a non-standard location will defeat the spam bots. Check you raw logs to see what they are searching for and it might give you some ideas how to beat them. They also search google for keywords associated with such scripts, so it can help if you disallow those files or folders in robots.txt.

Lee

Edited by Striver

Looks to me like you don't have the latest version. Go upgrade, then moderate comments. Get to know the blog software. There are lots of options, and some plugins you could install that help you keep it cleaner.

Whoa!

They've spammed posts that haven't been created yet! Go to cpanel, open phpMyAdmin, and open that database. Then go to comments and browse them. Delete all spammy comments, or they'll get appended to all new posts you create.

I mean, compare the dates on the posts and on the spam, and you'll see I'm correct.

Edited by annie

Doesn't matter if you have the new WP installation or not - they both get spammed.

However, I hate moderating comments. When I post a comment, I want it to show up right away, and I don't want those who post on my blog to have to wait either. ('cause you know, my blog is soooo important :D ) So I installed Spam Karma and I get NO spam comments coming through. ;)

Another vote for Spam Karma.

After seeing the recommendations from the good folks right here at TCH, I installed it, and it works perfectly.

It sends that spam right to hell before it has a chance to mess up your blog.

If you use WordPress, Spam Karma is the way to go.

Guys,

Wordpress 1.5+ has built-in features that kill comment spammers dead.

It's all in the options section. Go to www.wordpress.org and the forums will explain anything you need to know.

I also use Kitten's Spaminator with GREAT results. For a while I was getting spam all the time. Now, it's been weeks since I've seen one hit.

No reason to run away from blogging - if you're using Wordpress.

Enjoy!

-kj-

Wordpress 1.5+ has built-in features that kill comment spammers dead.

1.5 added some nice options, yes, but it's still a ways from a complete spam solution. I would strongly not recommend relying on 1.5's spam protection alone. You still really should install a 3rd party solution like spam karma or spaminator as you suggested to complement it.

I've added some words to the kill list on Wordpress 1.5. BUT, it appears trackbacks go through even if I've killed the domain it's spamvertizing. I've got .htaccess blocks, or I would have been spammed mercilessly by the latest scourge.

Maybe I should install Spam Karma. As long as it doesn't kill my sample spams - getting people to spam me is hard, considering outing spammers is what I do for kicks... They get so angry, you see :huh: , and blacklist me when they find out what I do :)