puretext

Switching Domains

I have 2 domain names registered with TCH: Puretext.us (the old one) and Neumatikos.org (the new one). Both of them point to the same servers, but only the old one has hosting provided. If you go to Neumatikos.org right now, you get the standard "cannot find server" error.

I like what's on the website. I just want to get rid of the old domain and move everything to the new one.

I understand about forwarding, and that's something I'll probably want to do in the transition, but if I change the old domain to a parked address and forward everything to the new domain, aren't I going to have a parked domain forwarding to a domain with no hosting?

How do I make sure the hosting service swtiches names?

All you need to do is open a help desk ticket to support and ask that they park your new domain on top of your current domain. They will both point to the same content.

That's what I'm about to do

But when I don't renew the old address... ?

You can ask the help desk to make the new domain name the active domain and park your old domain on top of it. When it expires your new domain will still be active.

OK. New question:

While things are propogating, I can't access my site at all. This is making me nervous, since I placed the order before I remembered to backup. Isn't there an IP address I can use to access the site directly? How would I find that address?

The IP address is listed in your Welcome email. If you have lost that you will have to open a help desk ticket and request that they resend it.

That's what I thought.

Trust me to have to do all my maintenance at once...

KB