New Openoffice Release

John Carney

I don't know if any of the rest of you use OpenOffice.org, the free open-source office suite, but if you do you might want to be aware of a new release.

The software has been in beta testing for version 2.0. Because it's such a huuuuge download, and I'm on dialup, I was waiting for the final release, and I keep popping in to the web site every now and then to see if it's arrived.

Anyway, there was apparently a security issue with the existing software (1.1.4) and they've decided to formally release a patched version of the 2.0 beta, listed on the site as version 1.9.95, to fix the security hole. (The "about screen" has the 2.0 beta graphics but lists the "official" version number as 1.9.95, and all of the installation programs refer to it that way.) I went ahead and downloaded this.

You can get it from http://openoffice.org.

Anyway, there was apparently a security issue with the existing software (1.1.4) and they've decided to formally release a patched version of the 2.0 beta, listed on the site as version 1.9.95, to fix the security hole. (The "about screen" has the 2.0 beta graphics but lists the "official" version number as 1.9.95, and all of the installation programs refer to it that way.)  I went ahead and downloaded this.

You can get it from http://openoffice.org.

On further review, I sort of misstated this. They do have a patch available for 1.1.4 (I missed that earlier), and they are still cautioning that 1.9.95 is beta software. I misunderstood something on the site earlier.

Please forgive me for sloppy reporting. :blink: Anyway, I have downloaded 1.9.95 and it seems to be working fine for me.

Thanks, John!

I've been using OpenOffice since it's pre-1.0 days, so yes, this interests me :D

I already had 1.9.94 but I guess I'll have to download 1.9.95 just to satisfy the geek in me ;)

By the way, if anyone is tired of paying hundreds of $$$ for restricted and buggy software (although MS Office is not one of the worst MS products), you should try OpenOffice! ;)

Slightly :D but a related question...

Is there supposed to be localized versions of openoffice?

Reason I ask is because I downloaded it about a week ago and the site gave me the impression that I downloaded a swedish version which was in english when I had installed it.

Yes, there are localized versions of OpenOffice. :)

They have a page dedicated to that, with a big link on the left side of the new site (good looking, by the way. very nice).

Not sure why the swedish version was in english, though... :|