Additional Bandwidth Costs

Hello,

Curious as to whether there's some rationale behind charging $2.50 for each extra GB of bandwidth when it costs $.40 per GB as a separate account.

In other words, I know I'm going to blow out my bandwidth for this month, and it sounds like TCH will be charging me $40 for going over by 10gigs when I could just set up another account (or redirect to one of my other accounts) and get that for $4.

I don't get it.... Not even a prepurchase option or something?!

Thanks

Dave

Guest Serpentine
Seems like an unnecessary hassle given that I only need extra bandwidth for one month.  I'd gladly have paid a little more but $2.50/gig is a joke.

Maybe you should Google "extra bandwidth" and see how much of a joke it really is. $2.50 a Gig is better than most hosts. In the first few pages there weren't many that were better than that. Most places were $3, $5, and even $10 per gig. Want a joke? I fount a place offering it for 10 cents per Megabyte. You do the math in that one. Could it be that you have outgrown our little family?

Curious as to whether there's some rationale behind charging $2.50 for each extra GB of bandwidth when it costs $.40 per GB as a separate account.

In other words, I know I'm going to blow out my bandwidth for this month, and it sounds like TCH will be charging me $40 for going over by 10gigs when I could just set up another account (or redirect to one of my other accounts) and get that for $4.

The last time I checked, 10 x $2.50 = $25.00, not $40.00. :D

I don't speak for TCH, but I would presume that the $2.50/GB is partially a penalty. TCH does not want customers to exceed their bandwidth limits, nor encourage them to do so, so a higher price per GB is charged.

Okay, guess I'll just do it the hard way and rerout traffic to a $4 account. Seems like an unnecessary hassle given that I only need extra bandwidth for one month. I'd gladly have paid a little more but $2.50/gig is a joke.

It's not TCH's fault you're going to exceed your bandwidth for the month. You've got two choices - do nothing and let your account get suspended, or pay the $25.

Pardon the bad math. But that was the answer I was looking for... that the servers are not intended to put through that extra bandwidth and possibly slow them down. Thanks.

However, prior to that reasoning, I found it unnecessary because I didn't see why I should need to go through the rerouting to move 10gb of traffic (for which TCH is getting 4 bucks) when it seems more customer-friendly to allow me to have that same 10gb of traffic on my current account at the same rate.

Again though, if it would put a strain on the servers if folks made regular practice of this, I'm satisfied.

Edited by ashesnglass