joseftu

Spam Karma Idle Questions

I love Spam Karma--found out about it here, of course! :clapping:

It has totally stopped my problems with trackback spam on my blog.

I get these flurries of attempts (which Spam Karma blocks nicely, but it sends me an email for every ten it blocks, so I know it's happening). They seem to come every few days, and when they come, there are really a lot of them. Today, for instance, Spam Karma sent me about 20 "comment deleted" emails. At 10 comments for each email, that's about 200 comments!

So I'm wondering...even though Spam Karma is deleting the spam right away--so it's not appearing on my blog at all, is there anything happening "behind the scenes" that I should know about? Any way that I can reduce the number of attacks? And is there any consequence (bandwidth? disk space?) to all these delted trackbacks?

I don't use Spam Karma (a WordPress plugin) since I have a Movable Type weblog, but I'm using a couple of MT plugins that perform similar functions, so I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. :clapping:

So I'm wondering...even though Spam Karma is deleting the spam right away--so it's not appearing on my blog at all, is there anything happening "behind the scenes" that I should know about?
I can't really say, since I've never seen it or used it, but I'd guess that you're seeing what Spam Karma is doing - that there's nothing else going on 'behind the scenes' that you need to be aware of.

Any way that I can reduce the number of attacks?

Unless you're willing to remove comments and trackbacks from your site, no.

And is there any consequence (bandwidth? disk space?) to all these delted trackbacks?

The blocked comments and trackbacks are not really deleted, as they were never created on your weblog in the first place (they're just blocked). Since the spam comments and trackbacks never get added to your weblog, there is no effect on the disk space that your web site is using. Spammers hitting your comments and trackbacks do waste your bandwidth though, so when rejecting a spammer's submission, you should send them the smallest response page possible because that page is going to get sent a lot of times.

Hope this helps...

Spam Karma, I use it! Works great.

SK does not send anything back to the spammer it just blocks them and tells you which ones it killed. It uses several reverse DNS lookups and known spammer blacklists to do it's blocking.

As David has said the only way to stop it is to disable comments and track backs.

The blocked comments and trackbacks are not really deleted, as they were never created on your weblog in the first place (they're just blocked).  Since the spam comments and trackbacks never get added to your weblog, there is no effect on the disk space that your web site is using.

Ah, see, this is what I was wondering about. When I get the emails SK generates, they say "comment deleted." So I thought that they really did appear (at least briefly) on the weblog, rather than never being created at all. That's much better.