Google And Dmoz

SpdWife

As far as Google is concerned, DMOZ.org appears to be a PR 8 site. A link to your site from DMOZ.org would probably give your site's Google PageRank a slight boost.

In terms of search results though, I wouldn't think that a single link from DMOZ.org would have hardly any effect on making your content more relevant (which is what should make your site display higher in a page of search results).

How important is getting listed int he DMOZ.org directory to ranking higher in search engines?

I've read several places that getting listed can make a difference, any truth to it?

My previous domain was listed by DMOZ as a "Newhoo Cool Site", which gave it showcase status as one of the best sites in a category. What I found interesting is how many link lists and search batabases were based on that listing. I could tell because every time I submitted the site to a different search site (yahoo, google, DMOZ, Netscape), I used a different description for my site. So when I came across my site in a different link list or search engine I could tell where the information originated by the description along with the link.

Of course things have changed in the past few years since then and I haven't been keeping up, so I don't know if this is still the case, but I found that if you got listed on key lists, like DMOZ, you would eventually end up listed in every list on the net including many small private sites. So it isn't just one link. That one listing in DMOZ got me hundreds of links to my site from all over the web. That will raise your google score significantly.

Lee

DMOZ feeds other sites so it is usually a tiny boost to get in there. With DMOZ I have read from an expert I respect that you should submit and forget... if you get in, fine but if not then don't beat yourself up about it... there are other opportunities to pursue for links.

DMOZ feeds other sites so it is usually a tiny boost to get in there.  With DMOZ I have read from an expert I respect that you should submit and forget... if you get in, fine but if not then don't beat yourself up about it... there are other opportunities to pursue for links.

When I set out to publicize a site, I make a detailed log of exactly when and where I submit it. I then go through that log every six months, checking the status of the submissions and, if necessary and appropriate, resubmitted with updated information. If possible, I include a note with the submission about recent updates to the site. This is just standard professional advertising methodology.

The power of DMOZ is not in the normal use of the entire DMOZ database. That alone will have a negligible effect on google. However, what often happens is that, when someone decides to build a site about, say, hummingbirds, one of the first things they do is build a link page to other sites about hummingbirds. Many of these sites simply extract that one section out of DMOZ, sometimes adding links from other sources to create a "definitive link page" on one particular subject. Because of that, your site ends up linked by hundreds, if not thousands, of small individual sites depending on the popularity of the topic. That has far more influence on google than simple DMOZ directory copies.

And the effects of this extend far beyond google. Someone researching hummingbirds is just as likely to follow a link from a list on another hummingbird site as they are to follow a link from google. Not only that, but as they move from one site to the next, checking link pages, your site tends to build name recognition. DMOZ is a key place to be listed to start this chain reaction linking process. The initial effect on google is usually small but it builds significantly as the link spreads.

Lee

Excellent points, Lee. I perhaps oversimplified and meant only to counteract the normal tendency for people, when hearing about the "power of DMOZ", to go all out and lose sleep trying to get on it at all costs and ignoring all the other opportunities.

Nice explanation of the "friend-of-a-friend" effect on how the link spreads too.

Excellent points, Lee.  I perhaps oversimplified and meant only to counteract the normal tendency for people, when hearing about the "power of DMOZ", to go all out and lose sleep trying to get on it at all costs and ignoring all the other opportunities.

Nice explanation of the "friend-of-a-friend" effect on how the link spreads too.

It's ok to be obsessed with getting listed in DMOZ. The problem lies in where people focus their obsessive energies. If the dog won't eat what you feed him, don't try to force-feed him...offer better food :thumbup1:]

Many people make the mistake of submitting sites to DMOZ before half the links on their home page are even connected. Such first impressions are hard to overcome. The best way to get listed in DMOZ is to hold off submitting until your site is complete, with original content and design, and is the very best you can make it.

I'm a bit over cautious in that regard. The site I am currently working on, verchi.com, isn't ready yet. I still have a lot of work to do. The framework is there but I am still installing and organizing content, and refining the style and navigation.

I submited my link almost a year ago and this is what they said few days ago :

"Still awaiting review by an editor. All you can really do is to wait for that review, which could be anytime - 2 minutes to 2 years, there is no way of predicting. In the meantime check the category from time to time to see if it is listed. Thanks."