Reputable Online Degree?

Joaquin

Hi everyone, going kinda off topic here, but I need some advice from professionals in the industry. I will graduate soon with 2 associate degrees and need to enter the work force asap, but I still want to maybe goto school online and get a full bachelors.

What I would like is some input on online degrees and the "weight" they carry as well as some suggestions of reputable online schools, not degree mills, that are respected in the IT field

I appreciate all input, thanx

p.s. the degrees I do/will have are in programming and the other web design.

Hi everyone, going kinda off topic here, but I need some advice from professionals in the industry.  I will graduate soon with 2 associate degrees and need to enter the work force asap, but I still want to maybe goto school online and get a full bachelors. 

What I would like is some input on online degrees and the "weight" they carry as well as some suggestions of reputable online schools, not degree mills, that are respected in the IT field

I'd say if you want to find out, you need to find out at least these things:

Is the school acredited?

Does the the college/university near you recognize the credits from the online school?

If the answer is no to either or both, I'd keep looking.

Hi everyone, going kinda off topic here, but I need some advice from professionals in the industry.  I will graduate soon with 2 associate degrees and need to enter the work force asap, but I still want to maybe goto school online and get a full bachelors. 

I'd say if you want to find out, you need to find out at least these things:

Is the school acredited?

Does the the college/university near you recognize the credits from the online school?

If the answer is no to either or both, I'd keep looking.

Thanx for the comments. But now I guess I have to ask, by whom is it good to be acredited by?

Good thought about checking the transfer-ability of the credits though, thanx.

The University of Maryland University College UMUC was founded in 1949 to offer distance learning to active-duty military personnel during the cold war. Anyone who did any work toward a college degree while in the military has probably heard of them. They are a fully accredited university, part of the University of Maryland system, and are probably the most experienced and respected institution there is that offers a wide variety of distance-learning degrees. They are a great choice, as they have 55 years of experience in teaching college courses to working adults on a part-time basis; they're not some brand-new "school" founded to grant diplomas over the internet.

UMUC offers 23 undergraduate (bachelor's degree) programs and 18 graduate programs over the web.

UMUC information

UMUC is NOT the cheapest option out there, but is comparable to other popular options like University of Phoenix or DeVry

FWIW...DeVry has been around for a number of years. (My father went to DeVry in Chicago and has been retired for about 8 years now!) From people I've talked to, their degree programs are pretty widely accepted.

Thank you everyone, I have a lot of research to do. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I was just getting drowned in degree mills and what not and I really needed some real input, thanx again.

Yes, DeVry is indeed a well-established and respected school. I think their reputation suffers because of their cheezy TV ads back in the 80s that made them sound like a heating-and-air conditioning repair school rather than a college/university. But they are a good, nationwide, for-profit university.